What's new

help! what's wrong with my cat? (1 Viewer)

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
Something is wrong with my little grey cat, Claudia. Her usual vet is not open on Sundays. The poor thing has a bald spot near one ear, a giant scab under her chin and she keeps scratching both. I also found a yellow watery substance (it didn't smell like cat pee) on the kitchen floor, right near the food bowl. There's another vet nearby, but he isn't open for another hour and a half and I have no idea if he can see her today. This probably doesn't count as an emergency so I haven't called the local emergency hospital. She's otherwise acting normally, but I would expect her to - she's a cat.

I feel so helpless....dammit I hate Sundays. :angry:

Andrew Testa

Second Unit
Theresa,

Cats are very hard to diagnose, especially on a HT forum. If she doesn't appear to be stressed, your best bet is probably to wait until tomorrow and get her in to see your vet. This doctor knows your cat's history and will best be able to find out what's wrong. If she's feeling sick or stressed she'll act lethargic and probably spend all her time hiding in a safe spot. If she's otherwise acting normal it's not likely an emergency and can wait a day. Perhaps Julian can add more sage advice.

I don't know what the fluid may have been, but if it was urine you'd smell it.

Andy
Not a vet, just own a lot of cats.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Theresa,

As you probably know, cats vomit rather easily. Is it possible that she drunk some water and then spit it out, so to say?

Was it really yellow, like bile? Or just "coloured"? The bald spot may be the result of scratching - or a little fight. Or... whatever. Like Andrew says, don't worry now, apparently she doesn't feel ill.
Your vet will be able to clarify the situation tomorrow.

Cees

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
It counts as an emergency if you think it is and can pay the extra $$ an emergency clinic usually charges.

Most dermatologic issues are not true emergencies (ever seen a Dermatologist on ER?), but bites & abscesses can present as dermatitis. Any chance the yellow stuff was pus? Any drainage from skin?

I feel so helpless....dammit I hate Sundays
I love Sundays; I'm off work :)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Theresa,

In my experience with cats over the last 20 years or so they do not act normally if they are ill or in pain. I've had several incidences of having ill or severely injured cats and they almost invariably seek out a hiding place and stop eating and drinking.

If you were concerned enough to post here, it would be a good idea to go ahead and seek advice/treatment at the emergency vets if only for your own peace of mind.

The fact that she's acting normally is a good sign, but it's always better to err on the side of caution.

Cats are remarkably resilient creatures when it comes to recovering from injuries--the old "9-lives" stereotype is not entirely baseless--so chances are that if this is an injury and not a disease she will recover quite well with a little help from you and your vet.

My own indoor/outdoor cat disappeared for a few days last summer and reappeared at my back gate one day unable to walk and with what I was convinced were life-threatening injuries. Her entire hindquarters were twisted, she had a 4 inch gash on the back of one leg, and she was in great pain when I tried to pick her up. I was convinced my trip with her to the vet would end in having to put her to sleep. The vet examined her, gave her an antibiotic shot and gave me some prednisone and antibiotic pills with the advice that if she showed no improvement in a few days that I might lose her.

Within 2 days she was limping around the house and drinking water again and eating the next. She was in pain for a week or so, but within a month you would never know she'd been injured. She's now completely back to normal and back to bringing me trophies from her hunting expeditions.

My best wishes and prayers go to you and your companion.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well it's Monday now, so I'm guessing you've spoken with a vet?

Regardless, it simply sounds like she may have thrown up some water. If she's eating and drinking and grooming, odds are she's okay. (Not sure what is up with the bald-spot and scab though...)

Hope all went well!

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Sometimes cats will scratch a spot until it's hairless and irritated. This usually means they were bitten by something (like fleas, chiggers, et. al.). I had one cat who got bitten by a mosquito on his neck, and scratched the spot until it looked like a mange sore. We rushed him to the vet and found out he was just really allergic to insect bites like mosquitos or fleas. He was also really sensitive to most flea powders and collars, and they would also cause his hair to fall out and lesions to form. But the long story is we were able from then on to keep those areas clean with a mild cat shampoo, and he scratched them less, allowing the area time to heal correctly.

Good luck with that. Hopefully it's as minor as our problems were.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks