Help...What's happenned to my speakers??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Cook, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

I was running the opening sequence from Toy Story 2, lots of bass etc, and when I turned on my system the same afternoon, I noticed that the main speakers, Tannoy M3 floorstanders, were sounding muffled and distorted as if somebody is speaking with a piece of paper over their mouth.
    These units are mean't to go down to 35hz and I was running the processor in "large".
    Help please? Have I fried them?
    ------------------
    Richard (UK)

2. Richard Cook

Can anbody help me with this??
    ------------------
    Richard (UK)

3. Magnus Lindqvist

Does this sound occur in both speakers?

4. Richard Cook

Thanks for replying Magnus
    It's worse in the left than the right.
    I borrowed a pair of Mordaunt Short MS25i's from a friend and these are working fine.
    As soon as the Tannoys are plugged back in the distortion is back [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Richard (UK)

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Don't know much about your speakers, but have blown my fair share. [​IMG] Can you locate the distortion? Listen to your tweeter at about 2 feet away with a low volume, same with the mids or woofers. If it seems to happen on the woofers and the tweeters then maybe you have damaged your crossover. Also physically inspect all your drivers. Any melting or discoloration?
    Secondly, are your speakers still under warranty? My polk RT15Ts carried a 5 year and I've blown some driver/tweeters and a crossover - I just took the drivers to the store and had a replacement waiting for me.

6. Richard Cook

John
    I think you've hit the nail on the head, to quote an English venacular [​IMG]
    The distortion does seem to be coming from both tweeter and woofer.
    The speakers are about 3 years old and have performed faultlessly up to now. The guarantee is only for 12 months and so a replacement or repair under warranty would be out of the question
    Perhaps this is the excuse I need to upgrade? Tannoy Revolution R3's maybe? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Richard (UK)

7. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Well, I'm only guessing. Try your speakers with your friends amp/receiver. If the problem follows the speakers then you FOR SURE know that's where it lays. If the distortion/harshness is indeed coming from both the woofer and tweeter I would suspect a damaged crossover. I don't know how much they cost (relatively cheap) but maybe you could just buy one from an authorized service dealer? pretty easy to install on the speakers I've had.
    Can you call Tannoy or maybe speak to the guys you bought them from?
    You can also inspect the crossover for visible signs of damage - brown or burnt resisters/coils etc.
    good luck! remember - power doesn't blow speakers, overdriving (clipping) your amp or speakers does.