What's new

Help ! what to use for Star Wars LD, THX, Dolby Prologic2, ? (1 Viewer)

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased the Kenwood 6070, then I realized I didnt see any specs on a RF modulator for Laserdisc DD5.1. While I could use my old amp as a preamp, that would be very wasteful of space just to get the RF mod for my Starwars LD. All of my other 5.1 LDs are out on dvd now, so its just starwars that I am concerned about.

Yeah I know Im gonna get spanked for not watching the original thx only version.

So anyway, what mode should I use to watch an LD like starwars. Does Pro logic 2 or matrix thx sound as good as DD5.1. Will I notice the difference.

I am excited to be able to add some new sound to some older movies that are 2.0. Can anyone fill me in on how the translation from 2.0 to 6.1 sounds.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I'd use THX on top of DPLII. Just turn on the THX mode and it should add PLII and THX post-processing on the 2.0 channel format automatically.

Daniel Smith

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
I'd opt for using the 5.1 mix if you can.
if space is a concern, look for an RF demod on EBAY.
To be honest, the only reason I have kept my LDs is because of the trilogy. I have both the definitive collection and the Special editions and find the 5.1 in SB and ROTJ to be excellent for the most part.( there is some great low-end stuff too)
Star Wars' dialog and music IMO is still suffering from "recorded with a fisher price microphone" syndrome.
:frowning:
Oh well, perhaps it will all come together by 2006.

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
oh yeah I forgot,
Id add THX post processing too. While I generally dont care for it, I always use it on Star Wars. Otherwise the dry and bright nature of the dialog(especially C3PO's voice) just grates at your ears if you listen anywhere near reference.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I'd use THX on top of DPLII. Just turn on the THX mode and it should add PLII and THX post-processing on the 2.0 channel format automatically.
I didn't know that you could do this. Does this sound better, by turning the THX mode on over PLII? Can you also do this with CSII? I wish that the manual would explain things just a little better.

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
I could once I get my new system set up, but I was hoping that someone here has had some experience, afterall Im talkin about starwars on laserdisc, which the majority of the members here seem to own since there is no dvd.

Also my question is based on that DTS ES and Dolby EX and THX and Prologic 2 seem to have been around for awhile.
Surely, someone has listend to the 2.0 to 6.1 conversion and can describe how it compares to the original 5.1dd.

Im not sure I want to dedicate a whole shelf for my old receiver just to get the RF modulator, I dont really want to spend more money for a standalon RF, and again Im really only talkin about Starwars on LD. I have 300 LDs, very few are DD5.1 because they have been replaced by the dvd counterparts. Short of blaming George Lucas for making us wait 3 more years, I am hoping that the 6.1 conversions sound good enough.

Thanks

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I used to own them but sold it for about 3times profit.[SE]
Before that I also owned the original trilogy [the faces THX].
I'have compared the soundtracks extensivelly,and I've always ended up preferring the Dolby 5.1,and the newer PCM tracks on the SE over the THX version.
Back then however ther was no DPLII,which could bring new life to the PCM tracks,at least for the surround section.
The PCM track excelled on the music part of the track,but the bass on the DD 5.1 was just much more authorative,the dialog was also better integrated on the DD tracks,and of course the surround effects.
So since you don't have the RF demodulator,I recomend like others the DPLII option and engage THX postprocessing,since these are direct theatrical transfers,which were mixed on a large stage with large cinemas in mind.
THX will "attempt to correct for that".

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
lucas,
By all means use the old reciever to get the 5.1!!!!
I just dusted off, the old PCM to try DPL2 and L7 conversion. The 5.1 is better.
IMO it's worth the extra space. Afterall, my LD player is just "wasting space" too just to watch Star Wars, the Lion King and Raiders of the Lost Ark.:D (...and by the end of year it will only be used for the trilogy) The rest of my LD collection is just collecting dust.

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so can anyone tell me what the difference from THX and THX EX modes, as well as active EQ modes are for.

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
EX is noting more than a matrixed sixth channel.
My AVR8000 has THX EX but Im still using it in 5.1 mode. Some people enjoy those extra channels, while most feel that 5.1 is still plenty. Let us know what setup you choose.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
It's not laser, but the Special Edition VHS Letterboxed version sounds absolutely great with Logic 7 (close to Prologic II). I find the bass is really good, sounds really close to 5.1. Have to admit not 5.1, but is it really worth getting a demodulator just for one set of Laser Discs. If you plan on collecting some of the other impressive DTS lasers (like Casper and others) then I would get a RF Demodulator, however, if that's not your plan maybe using PLII would get you by.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I find this thread very interesting. I still keep my laserdisc player around to watch Star Wars as well (both the THX and the SE versions).

When I look at upgrading my Marantz SR-18, I'm always disappointed by the lack of RF input on most new receivers and pre-amps. I wish I had never sold my Pioneer demodulator a few years ago... I never thought I'd need it again.

And Jerome raises a valid point... do I really want to spend more $$$ on a demodulator just to watch one set of movies?

Come on Lucas! Get with the program and give us the original trilogy on DVD. Can't you see the hardware dilemmas you're causing?! ;)

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I have TOO much of a soft spot for these movies. Just did a check on ebay and cant believe the prices some of these things are fetching. Sometimes it's sooooooooo tempting to let go of it for 200 bucks, since it's primary usage is three movies. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks