--= HELP: What to upgrade?... college student needs help! =--

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Blaydes, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Jason Blaydes

Jason Blaydes Stunt Coordinator

hello all, i'm new to this forum and am hoping maybe i could get some advice on what i should upgrade. i've currently got an XV- D701 jvc dvd player (with built in 5.1 decoder), a sony STR-SE391 digital ready receiver, the toshiba 55h70 55in HDTV ready tv, dish network satellite system, and jvc 4-head vcr. when i purchased my sony receiver, i bought it in a package that included 5 sony speakers and a powered sub.
    now what should i upgrade for about $500 bucks?... please remember that i'm a college student and am looking to have a decent budget system.
    i'm considering purchasing a new receiver. i think that will give me better sound, plust my current receiver does not except DTS. the reciever that i have been looking at is the JVC rx-8010vbk... http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026350&page=2

2. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

Shouldn't even bother listing the sound fields on that JVC, they're not very impressive.
    Marantz SR4200 $338.98 http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/res....html?tag=prod
    The marantz has dpl II
    ------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
    JKB

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

No doubt about it....consider the new Denon AVR-1802 which is great b/c it's built like a tank and it has preamp outputs for the front three channel if you really get crazy one day and add extra amplifiers or the Onkyo TX-DS595 which is very user-friendly and has a great remote and build. You'll notice a definite improvement in sound, especially in digital mode like DD and DTS. If watts are what you crave, just remember that the amps built into the JVC you're considering cannot hold a candle to the beautiful Denon and Onkyo amps.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Site
    Equipment List
    The Dorm Room Theater

4. Jason Blaydes

thanks for the info on the receivers... i'm about to look into them. what about the sony speakers?... are they a go? any more suggestions are greatly appreciated, peace [​IMG]

5. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

To sum up your answer in short:
    Onkyo TX-DS595
    I have the 696 and love it!
    Good Luck and God Bless America
    ------------------
    Jake T
    --"The Things You Do In Life Echo An Eternity"
    ----Russel Crowe, Gladiator

6. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Hey Dude,
    I am also a college student so I know about being on a tight budget. I've been scouring this forum for about 2 months wondering the exact same thing you've been wondering. I finally decided on the Onkyo 595. I've had it for about a week. Let me tell you.... its the SHIZNIT!!! I love this receiver. Before I got this I had a very similar set up to what you have now, that is a dvd with built in DD decoder, and a low end Sony receiver with 5.1 inputs, but no DD or DTS decoder.
    The old Sony I had had 100 WPC. I was worried about stepping up to the Onkyo as it is only 75. Dude, dont even sweat it, its like night and day. I cant believe how much the Onkyo blows away the Sony. I also have and recomend the Sony SAWM-40 Sub. Its a little sub, but DAMN, it delivers the goods.
    If you look online you can get the Onkyo receiver for $382 shipped (jandr.com) and you can find the sub online for about $150. So, if you can swing it, I'd get both of those first, then hook up with some new mains down the road.
    I stronly considered the Denon 1802 and 2802 before I decided on the Onkyo, and from what I gathered they are awesome as well, and I'm sure you'd be quite happy with them. However, I haven't personally auditioned them.
    So... to sum up, I'd hook up with the Onkyo and Sony sub if I were you. When you make your decision let us know how it turns out.
    Oh yeah, one more thing. The people on this forum are VERY knowlegeable and helpful. They will not lead you to the dark side. You can trust them for they are HT gods.
    Good Luck
    Marshall

7. Jason Blaydes

thanks Marshall... for the insight. especailly since we're both coming from the same place. i've been looking at the onkyo ds595, and it looks pretty stout... still looking around at all my options though. peace [​IMG]

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Hey Jason, how about Yamaha receivers? I too am a college student, Go K-State!, and on a tight budget. But this summer, I bought the Yamaha RX-V620, and have never regret it. It has component video switching, the very awesome 5-channel stereo, a very attractive look, and rated at 100x5 watts/ch.
    I would highly suggest listening to this receiver. I love it's sound. I got mine at an authorized Yamaha dealer for $400. I would not recommend buying anything from an unauthorized dealer.
    But if you do go for the Onkyo 595, which is an awesome receiver itself, and you buy it online, go through http://www.jandr.com.
    ------------------
    Go WILDCATS!
    [Edited last by Jeffrey Noel on September 13, 2001 at 10:20 PM]

9. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Jason;
    As a recently graduated college student who was (and still is) on a tight budget, I think I can help you out.
    While getting a new receiver is a good idea, I think your system would benefit more from the purchase of new speakers. And believe me, at $500 you can get some good stuff. Yes, a new amp will produce a better sound, but it won't make your system sing like a new set of speakers.
    In that case, I have two suggestions for you. First, you could get the Home Theater Direct Level III system, sans their subwoofer for about $557 shipped. That would include two sets of bookshelf speakers and their center channel. It's what I have and I think that it sounds terrific. It's really a steal at that price. The problem is, you'll have to order the speakers from them in order to have a listen, since they only sell their product directly through the Internet. The good news is, if you're not satisfied, you can always send them back and get refunded as a first-time customer.
    I also suggest you look into the JBL NSP-1 package, which is like the HTD set (2 pairs of bookshelves and a center channel), but goes for a bit less money. Do a price search at Deal Time and you'll be able to find them for under $300. With the left-over cash, you'd then be able to afford a Sony SA-WM40, which sells for around $200. That would improve the quality of your sound system even more.
    I also echo the sentiments of those who have suggested receivers in this thread. Each of those models is very nice and would serve you well. If you were going to look at the Onkyo 595, I would think about the Outlaw 1050, which goes for $499. But I would definitely upgrade the speakers before anything else. At this price range, I don't believe a new amp would give you the stirring night and day difference that you probably want.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "And you can tell Rolling Stone magazine that my last words were... 'I'm on drugs!'"

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

what kind of a room are you dealing with. it may well be that you have certain constraints that would limit your choice perhaps in receivers and/or speakers. in that case, may i suggest a good set of headphones?

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I second the SR-4200. Will give you better music presentation than the Denon and is also built like a tank. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

12. Jason Blaydes

13. Jason Blaydes

ttt