What's new

help! we changed the resolution to 1080 (1 Viewer)

amattatall

Auditioning
Real Name
alison
Ok...so we are newbies to hd...we bought a 50 in plasma LG (50LGP20) and a n LG surround sound system. We have encountered a problem. We changed the resolution to 1080p on the receiver...well our tv is 720. Now we have "no signal" from our DVD receiver to our TV. We have sound, no pic. We have hooked it up to our old tv, and we get both sound and pic. We have tried to go through blindly with the steps to change resolution back to 720, with much frustration, and no success. What do we do?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We also noticed that the sound from the tv into the surround sound was not as loud as the receiver playing the radio or cd's-this was the initial problem..which is now on the back burner until we get our pic back! This was a separate problem though, bc we had pic until the resolution was changed.

Any help?!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
List the model number of the LG surround sound system and if the manual is online, someone can walk you through the resolution change.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The upscaling only happens through the hdmi output, so as you already found out, you can use the analog output to see the OSD. Is there any reason you can't hook up the old tv or use an analog output to the new tv to see the OSD and change the output to 720P?

amattatall

Auditioning
Real Name
alison
our old tv only accepts 420-it is very old, so we cant change it through that-already attempted

amattatall

Auditioning
Real Name
alison
our audio system is HE903PAW and its an LG
I hope someone can help!!!!!!!!!! we were so excited to finally upgrade into the tech, and now are only frustrated!!!!!!!!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Try John's second suggestion: connect your receiver to your new display via analog, component outputs.

amattatall

Auditioning
Real Name
alison
I did try hooking up the av cord to our new tv and we had pic, but could only set to 420. We thought we had it solved, hoping that when we put the HDMI cord back on, it would be at 420, and we then could up it to 720. No luck. No pic again. Do these receivers have a memory for each specific tv? It sounds like a silly question to ask, but we can't figure this out. It seems to me, this is the only explanation why we cant get it 720..it wants to keep it at 1080 for this new tv bc I made that stupid mistake. Do these receivers have a master reset button or something that we can make it all go back to factory settings? We cant' find one, but perhaps you may know how we could do it. Frustration is getting worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought a 720P TV could still accept a 1080 signal, and would downscale them. Either this one doesn't, or the problem lies elsewhere.

amattatall

Auditioning
Real Name
alison
ok...didnt know that...(about downscaling) If it is a different problem where would I start?
It was working until I changed that resolution setting. I thought about returning the hdmi cable to best buy...even though it was working initially. I am not sure what else to do. Get the Geek Squad in for 80$?! I would rather not spend any more money! Should it be this frustrating?!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Can you not change the HDMI setting when in 420 mode? Give this a try.

If this does not work, connect your LG system to your display via component cables. These have three color coded plugs on each end. This should allow both 420 and 720. Set the menu with these cables. Then you should be able to change to HDMI, if you wish.

amattatall

Auditioning
Real Name
alison
no, we couldn't couldn't change the setting when in 420 mode through the component cables.. There in auto, then 420, and up...but it only would allow 420. We thought that would work as well and were excited when we finally had the pic on with those cables. But quickly disappointed when it wouldn't accept a change in setting. Does the receiver have a memory for our tv now through the hdmi cable that we can't bypass or reset?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Check the owner's manual (usually in the troubleshooting area), and see if there's a way to reset it to factory settings. That may work. It has worked for dvd players, that got put into progressive mode, and tv couldn't handle progressive scan.

If it does work, you'll need to redo any changes you had made to any settings, such as any calibrations you did, etc......
Good luck!

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
amattatall,

Here are my comments looking at your user guide:
  • You can not switch resolutions while it is connected to the TV
  • Switch to a different input jack on the back of the TV
  • Keep changing the TV's input source (don't just leave it selected on the one source and change wires and resolution)
  • If you change Reslotion while DVD is playing, playback will pause, so you have to resume.
  • I would suggest completely unplugging TV and receiver from power source. Unplug HDMI from Receiver to TV. Plug Receiver back in to power and change resolution output. Plug HDMI between receiver and TV in again but to a new input port. Go into the TV's menu and make sure it is not trying to specify an input resolution specific to that input.

I attached one of the pages I read.

amattatall

Auditioning
Real Name
alison
Hi
We tried all that...what we could anyway...like we have said, we cannot change anything when we have it going through the dvd receiver bc we have no pic signal. And we cant get the inout higher that 420 when we use component. I think we are ready to box it up and take it back...unless someone knows how to reset this darn dvd receiver...nothing has worked despite all the suggestions :frowning:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Alison:

Do as Vin said and unplug both your plasma and your receiver from each other and from power. Leave them unplugged for about 30 minutes. Does your receiver have an onscreen menu that allows you to see your settings? I would make the setting changes before you hooked anything up to it. Plug the plasma back in with nothing hooked up to it. Plug your receiver back in. Do not turn them on yet. Plug the HDMI cable into the receiver then the plasma. Turn on the receiver then turn on the plasma. If the settings are being made by the plasma you may have to reset it to factory.

amattatall

Auditioning
Real Name
alison
the receiver does not have an onscreen menu...so that option is out. It would be great if it did...I am assuming when you say onscreen, you mean a small screen on the actual receiver right? The only thing on the receiver is digital writing, indicating what input we are using..nothing more. How does the length of time unplugged affect it? We have unplugged all sources from all plug ins...not sure if we did the exact order of turning the tv/receiver on as mentioned. Cant hurt to try again. We cant find reset buttons for the receiver, but so far resetting the tv has not worked to my knowledge. And if they are plugged in, but not turned on...how does the order of attaching cable affect it? I am just trying to understand this as we go!

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
You turn it off for a period of time as some electronics have internal memory that will not allow setting to reset. For example, when changing hardware inside a computer, if you leave it plugged into the wall and the memory installed, when you restart the computer it remembers its last setting and may not detect the new hardware. You have to unplug it long enough for the memory to clear and "forget" all of the settings you changed. This doesn't always work however.

Now since your resolution over HDMI may be "stuck" than you will have to try using a different output on your DVD player to the TV. Use either your "Video OUt" which would require only one RCA cable, or use your "Component Out" which requires a component cable (RCA: Green, Blue, Yellow).

Then, when you see the image on you TV (remember to change the input on the TV menu) you can now change your DVD player back to a proper resolution over HDMI.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Alison - What Parker is talking about when he says onscreen menu is a menu which comes up on your TV and shows what you are doing on your receiver.

For example: I have a Yamaha receiver and have it connected to my TV by a yellow-tipped composite video cable. When I switch the receiver to the video output from which the cable is connected, the receiver's menu appears on my TV screen when I press menu on the receiver's remote. That way, I can navigate the receiver's menu without having to interpret the short text on the receiver's small display screen. The caveat is that this usually has to be connected to a different video input on the TV. My HD-DVD player's video output is connected to the HD2 video input on the TV (it bypasses the receiver completely) and the receiver is connected to video 3 analog input on the TV. If I need to see the receiver's onscreen menu, I switch the TV from HD2 over to video 3, select the appropriate video output on the receiver and, presto!, there it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks