Help! washed-out progressive scan picture...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve jaros, Mar 10, 2002.

1. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    I own a Toshiba SD3750 prog-scan DVD player and a Toshiba 57h81 prog-scan tv. When i play any DVD with the DVD player set to 'progressive', the picture is clearly less color-saturated then when i play a DVD on the 'interlaced' setting.

Can anyone explain why this is happening? Is it normal for a prog. scan picture to be less color-saturated than an interlaced one, or do i have a problem? Thanks!

2. Don Munsil

Don Munsil Stunt Coordinator

Well, yes, it's "normal" for this to happen. It shouldn't be, but it is. The problem is that the standards set different baseline voltage levels for interlaced and progressive output. You would like to think that Toshiba TVs would be calibrated such that they would look right with the input from their own players, but such is not the case.

The good news is that it's very easy to get it to look correct again. Just get a copy of Avia or the Sound & Vision calibration DVD, and spend 30 minutes or so reviewing the section on brightness/contrast calibration, then calibrate your set, and you should be good to go.

One difficulty is that if your TV is calibrated to look right with your progressive DVD player, it may look wrong with your other sources. You may want to look through the menus of your DVD player and see if it has a black-level adjustment. If it does, you'll probably want to set it to "7.5 IRE" or "lighter" or "off", depending on how they label it. This will set the progressive output to be similar to the rest of your equipment, and your DVD calibration should look reasonably correct for everything else.

Best,

Don

3. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I've had about 5 different progressive scan DVD players and I ALWAYS found that the picture was darker and colors more saturated with progressive. These are connected because progressive scan (480p) has a lower standard back level vs. interlaced, therefore lowering the amount of luminance without reducing chromanance causes an image to have a higher level of color saturation.

4. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Thanks fellas.

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

If your drop the brightness to -7 on one of the DVD players video setting memories, that should do it.