1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

help wanted with dolby 5.1 input !!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Petra Warreyn, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Petra Warreyn

Petra Warreyn Auditioning

Hi,
    I bought an amplifier which requires 5.1 input. My dvd-player (playstation 2) gives 5.1 output, but unfortunately through an optical cable. The amplifier doesn't have an optical input, only cinch (front, rear, center & woofer).
    Is there any cable or other solution available to fix this problem?
    Thank you very much for suggestions / answers!!
    Petra

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It sounds like you'll need more than just a cable. As you've described it, your system appears to lack a Dolby Digital decoder. I'm not too familiar with standalone decoders, but maybe someone else will know.
    M.

3. Scott Miller

Scott Miller Agent

Petra,
    What you've got is a "digital ready" receiver. Unfortunately, the only way to achieve 5.1 is you will have to A: get a new DVD player that has a Dolby Digital decoder built-in (I just got the Sony DVP-NS400D and love it) OR B: find a add-on digital decoder which will probably cost a lot more than a new player. I had to go through the same thing and decided on a new player. Or I guess C: get a new receiver with Dolby Digital and DTS built-in.