What's new

HELP WANTED: Replies to this thread as a test for Verizon accounts (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Me, too! :D

And, absolutely...the bell represents Verizon which is the latest variation on the "baby bell" evolution after the break-up of "Ma Bell". Come to think of it...it almost seems like Verizon is getting big enough to become the Bell Company all over again.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mi-chelle, Ma Bell - these are words that go together well, my Michelle.

Cees

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I am just glad to put Verizon (phone, Internet) behind me. I had no problems with our regular phone service but DSL is another story altogether...

I guess this whole situation (just the principle of it) is just stupid. Verizon, in my opinion, has the worst customer service in my experience when it comes to Broadband service. I can't be funny about it anymore.

So that's why I can't wait for our service to be localized again.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I did not know US currency was, at one time, printed on Hawaii (BEFORE it was admitted to the Union!).

From www.gradedcurrency.com

1934/35 Hawaii Series

The Hawaii Set is one of the Most Desireable and popular small size note sets. This set reminds us of the rich war-time history and heritage of the United States.

This Finest Known C.G.C. Hawaiin Set was 100% completed in June 2003 (after a long search). To date these are the Finest Examples (C.G.C.) known (6-30-03).

The printing of the Hawaii series notes was the direct result of the bombing of Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th 1941. This disastrous event took the lives of 2,409 people and left 1,178 wounded (of which 1,177 lost lives were aboard the USS Arizona). My own father was proud to serve in this war and none will be forgotten!

In fear of additional attacks on Hawaii and other areas (Philippines, etc..) the U.S.
Government authorized the Treasury Dept. to print Emergency currency for the Hawaii Territory. What would otherwise appear as normal everyday currency had the overprint of the word HAWAII on the reverse of the notes and also in black ink on each end of the obverse. Also, each note was overprinted in brown ink (seal) as oppose to the normal blue inks.

Hawaii issued notes ($1, $5, $10 & $20's) first appeared on June 25th 1942 of approx. $25 million (not adequate at the time). The deadline to convert existing (normal) issued monies was by July 15th 1942 (later extended). The penalties for failure to do so was stiff - up to a $5,000 fine and 5 years imprisonment. Authority's also had extended power to do atypical inspections of businesses and safety deposit boxes. Individuals were limited to bank withdrawals of only $200 per calendar month (or to have in their control), businesses were limited to having only $500 at one time.

NO other currency besides the Hawaii overprints were even allowed on the islands. No currency at all was allowed to be stored in safety deposit boxes and all other currency was to be exchanged at port of entry. Of course NO HAWAII OVERPRINTS WERE ALLOWED TO BE PHYSICALLY REMOVED FROM THE ISLANDS! This of course may be one of the reasons the notes (especially over $1 issues) are very difficult to come by in Uncircualated condition. If a person could only have $200 on them at any given time and could not store or hoard notes, were not allowed to move the Hawaii issues off the island; well, its amazing that uncirculated specimens exist at all! This may be the obvious reason CGC has only certified one $20 note in Gem (and I believe no others even in Unc.). Walking around in 1941 with a $20 bill would be like walking around today with perhaps a $500 bill, it's just not done very often.

One last fascinating historical item is that the government was all too aware of the concerns and difficulties encountered in the Philippines when the treasury at Manila was threatened just post the Japanese invasion of the islands. They loaded up approx. 3,000 POUNDS OF GOLD and 16.5 million pesos in silver and transported it to the Corregidor Island's fortress tunnels (and 70 million pesos in U.S. & Philippine paper money was immediately burned). However, later, all the gold and silver were sent by submarine (U.S.S. Sea Trout) and subsequently dumped into the Caballo Bay before the fall of Corregidor in May (to avoid a similar incident like that took place in Hawaii or to ward off any temptation).

On thing is certain, these notes represent a very important time in U.S. History, a time that will never be forgotten! These notes capture the very essence of history documented through paper money and we (CGC) are proud to display the very Finest set known in existence into CGC's Registry Set Hall of Fame!

I wonder why it was considered a 1934 series if they were printed in the mid-firties?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
So it's not related to the 1898/1899 $ series of Russia.

A series reflecting the Great War Times of WWII too. Prior to what was supposed to be the final stage of the fight against Germany, the US Treasury Department was afraid that the Russian Army, on their way to Berlin, wouldn't make it as planned, due to a lack of cash.

So they decided to print some extra money for them, with wich they could pay only each other but not spend it anywhere else, and to make the grand gesture of their grant clearly visible, they printed a special series, the Russia Dollar series. All bills were quite normal, except for these tiny changes:

On the back of each bill the text "COMRADE" was printed in a big clear font. Furthermore, the seals were printed in red. Also, on the $1 bills Washington was replaced by a magnificent etch of Joseph Stalin, while on the $20 bills a beautiful image of Nancy Sinatra was present. Above her head the text "Going Back To Jackson" and below it "Ever Since The Fire Went Out".
The $5 and $10 bills had Mikhaïl Sergeyevich Gorbachev, then still a kid, but with the typical birth mark in its original hammer and sickle shape already fully and clearly visible on the top of his head, and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky playing the balalaika, respectively.
To make it easier for the Russian soldiers to return change from a $20 bill, they added a $17 note printed totally in red, not just the seal, featuring the splendid face of no-one less than Faust, complete with fork and cap.

The whole operation was completed in less than a week and huge amounts of boxes filled to the brim with the fresh money were carpet bombed just in front of the proceeding Red Army, during the last week of 1944. In fact, it must be admitted that collecting the money and removing the boxes out of their path slowed down the Red Army's advance for more than a week, which is more than the German army ever achieved in this phase of the operations.

This magnificent series, although extremely well preserved because the soldiers didn't dare to use it for fear of being shot by their superiors (only the commanding Marshal Georgiy Konstantinovich Zhukov seems to have bought a box of cigarettes and two bottles of vodka from a foot soldier, paying with Russia Dollar bills), is still very difficult to come by, but last month I succeeded in completing a very well preserved version of it. I will continue getting hold of more and I'll publish extensively about it in slightly more than 7 months, complete with full specimen prints, also adding a form for anyone who wants to order this really beautiful and patriotic set.

It's an honor to the Intelligence and Creativity of the American People and their War Efforts as well as of the Heroism and Self-Restraint of their allies the Red Army.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Many of the notes that are available are in slightly less than pristine shape, mainly caused by some sort of dark and yellow brownish stripes across the full length of one side of the bills. I wonder what purpose the Russian soldiers used them for.

As a tribute to the Red Army, I will only publish details of my beautiful collection on the yearly birthday of Sergei Vassilievich Rachmaninoff (1873 - 1943), the great Russian composer and pianist. I hope you collectors and historians do all understand this.

Cees

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Great information, guys.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting them in my Inbox. Just happened to check this thread out while visiting. :frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Keith:

"Thish ish funny schtuff here."

--Dudley Moore as Arthur Bach (Arthur - 1981)

It would be a shame to think you're missing any of it because of some dumb ol' telecommunications behemoth. ;)

P.S. Does any of your money still hae "HAWAII" printed in big letters across the back of it? Maybe Verizon is worried its "funny" money. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ned: Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!

Phil: Hi, thanks for watching.

Ned: Hey now, don't you tell me you don't remember me 'cause I sure as heckfire remember you.

Phil: Not a chance.

Ned: Ned... Ryerson. "Needlenose Ned"? "Ned the Head"? C'mon, buddy. Case Western High. I did the whistling belly-button trick at the high school talent show? Bing. Ned Ryerson, got the shingles real bad senior year, almost didn't graduate? Bing, again. Ned Ryerson, I dated your sister Mary Pat a couple of times until you told me not to anymore? Well?

Phil: Ned Ryerson?

Ned: BING!

Phil: Bing.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I missed the 1-year anniversary by 15 minutes! (It's 12:15 am Hawaii time.) Check out the date of Post #1 in this thread.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Happy Anniversary!

Lookee what I found! :D

Keith: If you've never Googled "Verizon Sucks" before... take a look at this long list of links! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks