Help Wanted for CD Player recommendation

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave HW, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Dave HW

Dave HW Extra

I just set up a modest home theater in my basement which means I no longer have a CD player in the living room. I know a lot more about DVD players than CD players I want to get something decent but not expensive. Should I:

Get a 2nd DVD/CD Player
    Get a used/older high quality CD Player
    Get a new but inexpensive CD Player

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

2. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

What's your price range?

3. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

I would get a new high quality cd player. Even though you have a modest home theater, should still consider buying quality at an affordable price. There are some places online that sell Sony ES models for not a lot of money. You may want to try J&R Music World, Oade Brothers, and you can go to Crutchfield.com, and select from there. They let you split the payments in 4 on your credit card.

Also, you stated that you know more about dvd players; if you are more comfortable with dvd players, get a second dvd player that can play all formats of cds. (CD-R/RW MP3)

4. Kevin Knebel

Kevin Knebel Extra

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Price range, and also what's your system. If you have a high-performance hifi, then you could really benefit from a good cdp. If not, you have like a htib, or more of a ht-geared system that doesn't shine so much in 2-channel, you may be wasting $$ on a good cd player.

6. AndyDC

AndyDC Agent

I'm in the same boat, so not to hijack the thread, but . . .

This is for my second system, in the living room. High WAF required. I'm going to use bookshelves, such as Ascend 340l/r, monitor audio, or B&W 303s, and an Onkyo sr600 receiver. 100 percent two-channel music. The CD player needs to be small to fit in the cabinet (like a small single-disk DVD player).

So, I'm tempted to get a little portable CD player (gasp) that I could connect with a headphone-to-line-out plug. I would run the a/v cable out of the cabinet behind the bookshelf so it would be easy to pop in a CD and look very unobtrusive (better than Bose :)).

But I don't want to sacrifice sound quality, given my pretty low-end setup. Price is an object (cheaper is better, and given my setup I don't want to spend too much on the CD player -- I need to upgrade my main system too.)

Is there a single-disk CD player that would be say under $150 but with a significant sound-quality upgrade?

Thanks.

7. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

AndyDC:

If you a forced (due to WAF) to use small speakers, I would look for a CDP (and DVD players are just fine for this) with digital out and use the receiver's DAC so it can do bass management without an extra A/D D/A conversion. The receiver will likely have a better analogue output stage than anything in that price range. Just look (or listen) for one that operates quietly.
    Under $150, dedicated CDPs are no better than DVD players as transport in sound quality (for usability, some DVD players are too menu dependent, remotes lack track nos., start slowly, etc.). Under $150, I'd choose a Philips DVD-763SA. If you can raise the budget to $200, Cambridge Audio has a CDP, the D-300SE, that you should consider

In my experience, portable CD players headphone jacks are not nearly as good in sound quality as even the cheapest "home" CDPs

Sathyan