Help w/ Subwoofer (reccommendatiosn) ~ 2,500.00 price range...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MarcoBiscotti, Apr 1, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Okay, you've been so helpfull in regards to my speaker setup that I'm seeking your advice for a subwoofer now... [​IMG]

I was looking into the Bowers & Wilkins ASW 850 which is a sleek looking piece of equipment and seems to rate fairly high w/ reviewers among professional HT setups, or perhaps maybe something from Polk Audio, etc...

I was reccommended the Monitor Audio FB 210 powered sub. It's a 360 watt, 2 x 12" subwoofer..

I'm not at all interested in brands like SVS nore any needlessly large pieces of equipment.

My HT is going to be centered around my livingroom and I do not have a ton of free space. I do not want large pieces of hardware sticking out so I am looking for a subwoofer which would essentially offer the highest quality, best bang for my buck and also something that's as discreet and inconspicuous as possible so as to blend with the aesthetics of the room.

I have approx. 2.5k to play with here.

What do you guys reccomend/suggest??

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

ACI Maestro. Do a search, a forum member just did a very extensive review with real quantifiable data. Proved to be a formidable contender.

www.audioc.com

If you are worried about factory direct, don't be. I can vouche for the quality of everything this company produces and the sound is to die for.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Evan,

that ACI Maestro looks like a fairly large pice of equipment though!

I'd prefer to stick w/ something a little less conspicuous. I think the Monitor Audio subs were around 14-20" W/H.

I'd rather stick w/ something around those approx. dimensions because anything else would really crowd my livingroom!

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Please hear me out here. I think you should certainly consider the B&W and MA, but also consider the SVS SS cylinder. It is a wood cylinder, which will take up less floor space than the other subs you've mentioned, and it can be stained to match your furniture. Perhaps it is not what you're looking for, but you should at least take some time to compare the specs.

5. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

Check out the JM Labs SW900. I find it to be very capable. I have a review of it on this forum. Just another option [​IMG]

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Seth and Mike,

I'll do a forum search for the SW900 and I will look at the specs for the SWS Seth.

Since you seem to be really enthusiastic about this SS, could you explain what details about this sub give it an edge over others available, at least for you?

I'd love to hear.

Thanks guys!

(This is so exciting!)

7. PatrickS

PatrickS Stunt Coordinator

Marco,

FWIW: the ACI Maestro is 19"(h) x 22" x 22" without the wood panels on the sides. It would work well as a end table. One of the very cool things about the Maestro is it can easliy be placed in the "near-field" position without being able to localize it. I have mine right behind my couch and it completely disappears and blends seamlessly with my mains which are 9.5' away.

Check my lengthly impression thread over on AVS for more info here: My ACI Maestro Experience

Good Luck in your search!
    Best Regards,
    Patrick

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Marco:

I haven't personally heard the B&W 850, nor the SVS SS cylinder. Generally speaking, I prefer 12inch speakers over 15 inch speakers. The specs seem to be pretty close with the B&W at -3db at 18Hz (according to their website). I personally prefer the looks of the SVS, especially with the option to have it stained to match your other furniture or speakers.

It also appears to be cheaper, but that depends on the discount you get from B&W. The SS is $1895 + cost of an amplifier (which you could get easily without going over your $2500 budget). Going this route would also allow for future expansion by adding another sub and using the same amp -- but it doesn't sound like that's important to you right now.

Certainly look at/listen to the B&W and others, but I was just saying I don't think you should eliminate SVS too quickly.

9. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    While not the most powerful subwoofer out there, the Martin Logan Depth should fit within your size limits and is a very good sounding product within its limits.

How big is your room? If on the larger side you may be best served with a pair of compact subs.

10. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Hey Marco,

The ASW measures as follows -
    Height: 529mm (20.8 in) not including removable feet
    Width: 562mm (22.1 in)
    Depth: 522mm (20.6 in) including grille and controls
    allow 50mm (2 in) clearance at rear for ventilation

So it's not much smaller than the Maestro. The veneer looks nice on the B&W, but in my book that takes a back seat to performance.

Personally I'd take a closer look at the Maestro. Maybe give it a test run and if you don't like it in 30 days return it.

Mike