Help w/ mom-in-laws "new" Emachine

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alf S, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Hey folks,
    My mother-in-law wanted a BASIC PC for surfing the web and what not, so a lady where I worked offered us their 3 year old Emachine (466IS) and 17" monitor and printer for a real good price.

The lady said her mom gave it to her and her husband when they upgraded almost 2 years ago. As it turns out the lady I work with who sold it to us kept it in indoor storage and never used it for the past two years.

Tonight I plugged everything in and I when I plugged in the PC tower, I heard a brief hardrive type noise, the light on the power button came on, but seconds later it died. After numerous attempts (unplugging and plugging back in after 30 minutes etc) the thing still won't come on.

Any ideas what might be up? Does it have to do with the time it's sat idle and the battery "backup" that's shown in the owners manual died, and it's causing this? Should I replace the battery?

I'm stumped. Everything else powers up fine (monitor etc).

Thanks for any input.
    Alfer

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If the entire computer won't turn on, it's the power supply

If it's just the hard drive, I'd say that that's dead

Wouldn't be suprised if the CMOS battery does need changing too

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

If it's the power supply and it's the one I'm thinking of you might have to do some looking to find a new on as it's not a standard size. If it doesn't power up at all chances are that the PS is the problem.

If it turns out to be the PS and you need help finding one drop me a note. I used to have to fix these things all the time and had/have a source for the part.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Personally I'd pop the case and make certain everything is connected (namely reseating the memory/video card/other cards/cpu, check the cpu fan connection, checking the ends of the IDE cable, and make certain the power supply is connected to the MB/HD/CD-rom etc), upgrade the memory (many problems are simply solved by excess memory imho, plus the sad fact is if you get it up you will have to repair it in the future) while you're at it since it's dirt cheap right now, and even add an extra case fan. Second thing I'd check is the bios setup menu and see if the video property is set correctly (some built-in video cards are PCI though the bios offer AGP primary with no AGP slots, quite stupid imho). If the bios menu can't be accessed (check www.E4me.com and you might have to email tech support) I'd also check the MB book and see if all the jumper configurations are correct and if you're pretty comfortable with this you might even want to clear the Cmos jumper and reset up the entire bios screen (hopefully this is new enough with a lot of plug and play features so you won't have to set your ide controllers and c/h/s of your HD). If you have the repair disk (all Emachines have this, or a simple 98 bootup disk) try using this as well to try a basic bootup and possible repair (if the repair is not a bios or connection problem).
    I'd also go to www.freedomlist.com (mark it as a favorite or bookmark depending on the browser) and check out some of the availible cheap ISPs (or even free, some require a setup fee that's waived by going thru a link at this site) and certain free-ware (my advice panic-ware's pop-up stopper, zone alarm's firewall, lavasoft's ad-aware, and avast's anti-virus for starters) to help protect her. I'd advise setting up an email account at yahoo (so she can hop ISPs and have a common contact point for friends and family, plus maybe the messenger and other various messenger programs such as ICQ, Aol, and MS if she wants them; try to see if she already has friends and family she can maybe hook-up with).
    I'd also advise if you can partition the HD and have her install everything that has nothing to do with the OS to every partition other than C: partition (makes your future repair jobs a piece of cake, simply when installing a program change the "C:***" to "D:***"), show her how to turn off the computer (many people who've never used a computer don't realise that you go to start button to shut them down), and if possible backup her system and setup her maintenance schedule and explain it to her.
    Sorry about the long rant and I hope you don't think I'm talking down to you (no offense, don't know what level of user you are) but I wish someone helped me out when I first started and also when I started repairing other people's computers to tell me what to teach them (it never occured to me to teach someone how to turn off their computer until after one repair and showing them it's up and running they stepped over and turned it off by the power switch, AGGGHHH!).

5. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

You might want to try diconnecting the computer from the outlet, and then holding the power button down for 30 seconds. Reconnect it, then try to turn it on. It usually works for me after it wont turn on for no reason.

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

6. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Thanks for all the responses folks.

As of this morning it's still dead. I tried the unplug, hold down power button for 30 seconds, and then plug in (?) and nothing.

When I do plug it in I hear a faint thump sound coming from inside. Not sure what that means.

Any idea how much it would cost to replace the power supply? I have a friend who says he knows how to do it, but don't know how much a PS costs.

I hate to invest more money in it to find it's not the PS though.

I did open the box (the inspection seal was never broken, so nobody else has been inside it)and didn't find anything out of the ordinary, but maybe I'll take another look.

Honestly, she paid $250 for the whole set including $65 worth of new printer cartridges..so gettin a PC, 17" Proview monitor, and Canon bubblejet + cartridges for $250 seems like enough of a deal to maybe invest in a repair.

Curious, is it worth it to bring it to a Compusa place to test it, or is that a major cash draining repair shop?

Thanks again
    Alfer

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The faint thump sounds to me to be either the HD, cpu fan (maybe a wire falling into it, also listen near the PS to see if it's fan), or even the CD rom. If you or another friend of yours (I just know that someone you might know have an old computer lying in their garage, attic, or basement; that you can borrow for testing purposes) to try it's power supply for testing (why buy when you might can recycle from some poor outdated Packard Bell). PS are usually about $20+ (for a 250w, more than adequate for the Emachines since most of the ones I've worked on in the past were 140w) at CompUSA and other vendors I've checked.

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

The eMachines (usually) PS is a non standard size (about half the size of a regular one) and usually goes for $40-$50 most of the time.

9. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Thanks to all for your help.
    I found a nice local repair shop today that offered to diagnose and in the end replace the dead power supply. It was diagnosed and back to me alive and well before dinner.
    My mother-in-law is very happy with the outcome. [​IMG]
    Thanks again
    Alfer