Help w/ getting everything connected.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rajeev, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Rajeev

Rajeev Auditioning

Jan 3, 2003
    I'm trying to get all my components hooked up, and need some help.

So here's what I have:
    15 y.o. Magnavox TV (stereo)
    10 y.o. Magnavox VCR (mono)
    Denon 2802
    Panasonic RP-62

Here's their connections: (A=Audio, V=Video, I=In,O=Out,
    L=Left, R=Right)

TV: Coax, and Audio RCA's(LO, LI, RO, RI)

VCR: VHF Coax out to TV, VHF Coax in from ant.
    RCA's (VI, AI, VO, AO), and UHF connections

DVD: Optical, RCA Audio (LO, RO, sub-out), component
    video out, RCA video out, S-Video out

Receiver: Too many to list, probably has everything I need

ok, so I figured out that most receivers don't convert video inputs the hard way (composite video -> RCA... etc.)

One problem is that my Cable service is a Coax line. In my manual, supposedly I'm supposed to take the video out of my cable box (which I don't have one) and connect it to my receiver, but I can't do that since I don't have a cable box.

I would like all my video to go to the TV so I can use switching.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I've spent plenty of time trying to get this all to work.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    First, welcome to the Forum!
    I think you will find most all the information you need at this link.
    The only thing is your VCR and CATV situation. You will have to use a “y” splitter on the audio output to get a signal in both the L/R inputs on the receiver.
    You will not be able to get cable TV video to the receiver unless you have some kind of cable tuner. You could get a cable box from your company for this.
    A couple of other options: You could get a new stereo VCR (those old mono VCRs have really dreadful audio anyway), and it could be your cable tuner.
    Or, since the TV has audio outputs, you could send those to the receiver.
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  3. Rajeev

Rajeev Auditioning

Jan 3, 2003

I should have mentioned what I had working so far.
    I can get the DVD player, A & V to work correctly (I just realized I have a video RCA out after posting), and I can get the audio from the TV when using cable to the receiver.

So, here's what I have set up so far:

RG-6(?) from cable service line to RF modulator.
    RG-6 line from RF modulator to TV.
    (I figure once I get another RG-6 cable I could fit the VCR inbetween the cable service line and the RF modulator since it has a RG-6 in & out)
    Optical out from DVD to receiver
    RCA video out from DVD to receiver
    Audio out from TV to receiver.

Also, I called up the cable company (Adelphia) about a digital cable box, and the lady said it should only have a coax in and out, and she thinks there are no audio/video outs. So, I'm not sure if she's correct or not.

And hopefully that will all work out.
    I'll find out when I get that cable.
    The one thing I realize is that I won't get the cable's surround sound signal b/c I'm outputting the stereo lines from my TV.
    If you find I can modify something so that it works better please let me know.