What's new

HELP w/ choosing the right receiver!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

cturner10

Auditioning
Real Name
CRAIG
Hello I am about build my first home theater and I need some help with what kind of receiver to buy. I am looking for something that is no higher than $800. Below are the components that I want to connect to the receiver.

-Optoma DLP HD70 Home Theater Projector

-Polk Audio Monitor 50 Black Tower Speaker

-Polk Audio CSi3 Center channel speaker

-Polk Audio FXi3 Surround speakers

-Polk Audio PSW12 Powered subwoofer

-Pioneer THX Select A/V Receiver VSX-1015TX-K

-Pioneer DV-490V-S Progressive Scan DVD Player with HDMI

-TiVo® HD Digital Video Recorder

-JVC XL-FZ258BK 5-CD Changer

-JVC Super VHS Hi-Fi VCR - Black Finish

-XBox 360 (HDMI)

-PS2

The room in which I am building the theater is 14ft by 12ft. I am hoping this isn't to small for a 7.1 surround sound system(I realize I only have 5 speakers listed). If it is please tell me. I was also looking into remotes and am leaning towards the Harmony 1000 because it seems to be easy to program. Is the 1000 a good choice or is there a better remote out there?

Thank you for your help,

Craig

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

If I were you, I'd just hook everything up to the Pioneer THX Select A/V Receiver VSX-1015TX-K you have listed. :)

That room is not too small for 7.1, depending on the viewing distance, which depends on screen size. Optimize your seating and if your backs are not against the wall, 7.1 is possible. I even had a 7.1 system where my back was to the wall, but the effect is not as good as when you have some room behind you.

PS, the Harmony is a great remote, but the 1000 is expensive. Unless you are doing some heavy duty dedicated theater stuff (lights, motorized screens, etc.), you can save money and still get the same functionality from a lesser model. It is a cool looking remote, though (and the only thing I'd recommend as "better" would be another Harmony).

Also, Polk subs are notoriously boomy and lack a low end. For the same price, I'd look into an SVS that will give you a flatter response and better low end with more overall output. Even the PB10 at $449 will be an improvement. Don't skimp on a sub!
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

cturner10

Auditioning
Real Name
CRAIG
Thanks for the input. I will be using motorized curtains and remote lighting thats why I chose the Harmony 1000. Also I have a question about the receiver listed.
How many HDMI inputs/outputs does the THX Select A/V Receiver
VSX-1015TX-K have?

Thanks,

Craig

logan8246

Agent
Real Name
Richard
Denon 2807 received pretty good reviews.
it also has a microphone, and can be used in setup to adjust all your speakers for you with a few simple test. this portion of it recieved ok reviews
it will pass 1080p signal, I have been pretty happy with the one I purchased. I think it is alot like ford and chevy though. Some people just a particular brand

Denons website
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3038.asp

Review from CNET: rated 87 by them
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...-31660758.html

dont pay attention to the pricing on CNET though, this review was done last year and you can find them in the 800.00 range now, maybe cheaper depending on who you go with.

good luck

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Uhhh, I don't know. I figured you knew because you had it in the list of components that you wish to buy. I found it strange that you would list an A/V receiver in a list of components that you wish to connect to an A/V receiver. ;)

By the way, I have no idea about the quality of that receiver. I always owned Denon until I recently bought an Onkyo. But a quick search of the Pioneer website:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069809_209686388_tab=B,00.html?compName =PNA_V3_ProductDetailsComponent

shows that it is a non-HDMI receiver. In these days of HD audio, I personally wouldn't buy a receiver that has no HDMI audio capability.

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

I totally concur with Jeff on this! :emoji_thumbsup: Everything is going the way of hdmi and until something better than that comes out, hdmi will be the standard before to long.

Depending on your screen size you could have your seating around 10 - 12 foot and still have room to place your rear speakers for 7.1. This should give you enough room to get decent effects from the 7.1 system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aditya reddy`
Recent bookmarks