Help w/ buying new flatscreen TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisConklin, Aug 4, 2002.

1. ChrisConklin

ChrisConklin Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the market for a new flatscreen TV for my apartment room, at most i'll be about 9 feet away so i'm thinking a 27inch although i would like a 32 inch if the price is right. What is the cheapest and best TV models i can get for my money (I will most likely be shopping at Best Buy and Circuit City)? Are there any really cheap 32 inch flatscreens that are good quality? I saw a Sharp but the display was horrible compared to the others. From the 9 feet distance would my standard 32 inch be any better than a 27 inch flatscreen? Thanks in advance.

2. RichN

RichN Stunt Coordinator

Depends on how much you have to spend, but I think the Sony Wega TVs have the best picture/features. They have also been rated as some of the best TVs for quite a few years now. Check out Crutchfield.com for information, but you can probably find what you want for less money elsewhere.
    RichN

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've had a 27" Wega for a couple years...and I also sit 9 feet away. Needless to say, I'll be buying something in the 53" 16x9 range this November [​IMG]
    Go with 32" if you can...watching a widescreen image on a 27" set 9 feet away is rough. Aside from the Wegas...I've heard that the Samsung sets are good.

4. ChrisConklin

ChrisConklin Stunt Coordinator

After looking at a few of the sets at Best Buy i thought the Samsung looked the best, they didn't have any Sony 27inchers there, there was an Advent there that didn't look all too bad and was really cheap, but no 16x9 squeeze from what i could see. What is generally more favored out of Samsung, Tosh, and Panasonic? I saw a 32 inch Sharp that was priced well, but the display had shitty picture, is this just bad calibration or is it really that bad?

5. Larry F.

Larry F. Agent

Check aan AKAI at Sam's Club. Top notch picture quality rock bottom price. Look for threads on this product. There is very good advice on how to calibrate it etc. After calibration it's a suprisingly good set. Only $379 for the new 2791.

6. Dan V

Dan V Stunt Coordinator

The Akai is actually a clone of the Samsung, same tv , made by Samsung and rebadged as an Akai.It's a great tv for $379.