Help!! Very Worried About Purchasing An XBOX For Our New RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dalila, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

We recently purchased a Mits 48311, which we love, and tomorrow Toys R Us has a very good deal on an Xbox with 3 games and extra S controller.

However, we are veryyyyy afraid to buy one and hook it up to our RPTV due to all the warnings about burn in.

I know you may tell me to do a search on this, and I tried for hours now, but it keeps telling me due to server load it can't perform a search.

Anyway, our TV is not even broken in yet. It is probably at about its 20th hour right now. My husband likes to play hockey, football, baseball,and FPS games a lot and I adventure and puzzle games. We are terribly worried about burn in. I know its not a worry if you only play an hour or so, and your contrast is at 50% or lower, which ours is. However, when we play we usually will do a good 3 hours. And I could easily see this being at least an every other nite situation, and nightly in the beginning. I would appreciate (since I cant do a search) any and all input you people have on this.

Thank you. [​IMG]

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

You already have stated the things most of us (console gamers) have done to our sets, lower contrast, taking breaks during play, etc. While everything in moderation is best, playing for more than 6 hours on our RPTV hasn't given me any burn-ins. Last night, my son and I were going thru Mechassault for at least 8 hours. Usually we play a combined 5-10 hours a day on it and so far I haven't seen anything to discourage that.

3. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Welcome to the forum, Dalila. I'm another HDTV owner who has gone through countless marathon gaming sessions with no signs of burn in. Like you and Eric stated, keeping your set properly calibrated will help avoid this issue.

Also, there is a thread about burn in going here.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=105385

4. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

I've got a Mits 46807 that I've been running an Xbox on for over a year and a half, including multiple long session nights on it. (5-10 hrs straight Halo multiplayer [​IMG] ) + some long evenings with Jet Set, Panzer Dragoon, and such.

As noted above, be sure the set is calibrated. I'd say it's very worth getting your hands on the remote kit and calibrate the set with VE or Avia. I do a spot check on calibration every three to six months.

Enjoy the set and the Xbox, you're in for some very enjoyable evenings.

5. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

Since I like to play sport games a lot, I get many static images such as score boards and such. After playing I try to put in a movie or watch tv (watch out for station static images) to get some movement back in the places that were still. The one thing that I like is that most of the time those static images will change location or are not on all the time. I've had my Mits a year and .5 and have had it ISF'd so I no longer worry about it.

6. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for the replies...

We held off buying it today, and still may not even get it, as we are still super nervous.

We have some other questions, which I hope are not too silly.

Are the games in 16X9 format??
    I mean when you play them, are they made that way, or do you have to "stretch" the image thereby getting a weird picture. Or do you have to play a lot of games in 4X3 with the bars on the side. (If so, that just sealed it, we never run those bars.)

We re-adjusted the TV today, still wating for our Video & Sound disc to come. I would say the contrast is at 40% brightness is at 45%.

You know, all our 4X3 tv's the contrast is at about 80% and brightness about 60%. ( I know...we're nuts ) lol But we don't worry about those TV's as much [​IMG]

Thank you in advance [​IMG]

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

8. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

Thanks! That sealed it, at least for our RPTV... We wont be picking it up, unless we decide to for one of the upstairs Tv's, but then they are not near our DSL, so that would render the Live part useles. [​IMG]

We have a Gamecube upstairs on a 21" with surround sound.

We just can't do grey bars, they are horrific looking.

Once again thanks. Maybe it's a small blessing, High Heat Baseball is nicer looking on the PC at least. But still, we are a bit bummed. We'll see.

Thank you [​IMG]

9. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

10. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I know I'll be branded a hypocrite, but I find the stretch modes on my Mits work just fine for 4x3 game material, but would never consider using them for 4x3 film material.

11. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

12. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

You can still use xbox live if you go the wireless route. You just need a wireless bridge for the xbox and a wireless access point/router for your dsl.

I've owned the mitsubishi 55809 for 2 years now with xbox and ps2 and 2.35:1 movies on it constantly with no problems. I do calibrate with ovation, and spot check it.
    I'm so glad mitsubishi put a reset button on the front so my 11 month old daughter can convieniently push it to wipe out my settings! Arggh, doesn't anyone at mitsubishi have young ones!
    I need to cover that button somehow...

John

13. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

The Xbox actually automatically adapts to your tv format. That is, non 16x9 games are automatically "stretched" to fit your set by the console. I've never had a game which looked bad on the set. Most look stunning, and only a couple are noticeably stretched. (20 titles owned + 10 or so rented) Not to fan the fires of OAR debate or anything [​IMG], but it is something which may be worth factoring into your consideration.

14. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I have a Mits TV and I leave the set in Full mode all the time for the Xbox. Lots of times, I don't even notice the non-anamorphic games are stretched. If I go looking for a circle to compare, I can see it but since the games are animated, the distortion is not really noticable to me at all during regular play. If you are really concerned, you should probably hold off for a few weeks as the TV is a little more "tender" in the first 100 hours or so but I would not worry about it at all. They key is just like anything else, make sure you vary your veiwing. If you watch a good mix of HD, DVD and other full screen 16x9 material and play several different games, you should not have a problem. In fact more people have issues with Home Shopping, CNN or the like than video games.

15. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Have a Mits 65" WS set and an Xbox with the Hidef Pack and the picture is wonderful. I usually leave the contrast and Brightness low so no burn in. The only downside is some games don't play well on the set because of the low settings. Games that are dark like FPS like Jedi Outcast. Sometimes its difficult to play these because it's hard to see. I've been toying with getting a Flat Screen Set for my Xbox because of this.

16. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Dalila,

Don't throw that baby out with the bathwater! Xbox on an RPTV is safe, nice, and very fun with wireless Xbox Live. I have almost the exact same setup as you folks and have been enjoying Xbox since launch day with zero burn in. To put it in perspective:

Before Xbox
    -----------
    PC gaming: 70%
    Console: 10%
    Handheld: 10%

After Xbox (and Live)
    ---------------------
    PC gaming: 15%
    Console: 80%
    Handheld: 5%

It really is that much better with an HDTV and 5.1 surround.

17. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

18. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Dalila, just go ahead and get the XBOX. Almost everyone here has one and I would say over half of the people use RPTVs. Just make sure to calibrate it with THX optimizer or S&V and you should be fine. Ive had my RPTV and PS2 hooked up for over a year now. No sings of burn-in at all. I played GTA3 for about 5 hours a day 7 days a week last summer, so I would say youre pretty safe. My XBOX has added no burn-in yet. JUST GO FOR IT!! You wont regret it if you do.

L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

19. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

Well, thank you everyone for all your replies, however we have decided not to get an XBOX.

We had always thought we would pass over this generation with the exception of the Gamecube which we own. And after much thought, and knowing we have two very, very capable PC's which we have an awful lot of fun with playing games both on and offline, have decided against the `box.

Once again thank you for all the replies, it did at least allay some fears about that burn-in issue. (Tho I think we would have always worried, esp when playing a sports game with some clock or other static image.)
    [​IMG]