What's new

help!! very new at this, need speakers!... (1 Viewer)

John Avanti

Auditioning
Hi,
I am brand new at this, and not very knowledgable when it comes to Home Theater etc. But I really really am getting into it,I saw one, and that's it I was hooked, I'm afraid this obsession just started. I am putting a home theater in my basement it measures 16x26, going w benq 8700 proj and denon rec,dvd.I am prob going to go with directv, I have approx $2,000 (give or take a little) to spend on speakers and sub. Prob 80% Movies 20% Music. I want the best my money will buy.I've come across many brands Paradigm,Snell,Klipsch,Rocket by Onix I'm just so confused. I Think I want 6.1 or 7.1 not in wall. I am amazed and I admire the amount of knowledge all of you have on Speakers and Subs. Please :) recommend a speaker system for me, it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks John

John S

Senior HTF Member
I still tend to give more an emphasis on music suggestions, so I will let others chime in.

That is a real great budget, you should be able to get some very high end gear that you can be real proud of for years to come.

You can get 6 JBL S38II's for like $750, and a 15" Velodyne sub for like $500. And even though that is a top notch bang buster system, you can do better with the extra budget, I have no doubt.

I still suggest getting the meanest sub you can, then the rest of your budget going to speakers. (Especially since you emphasis is on HT and not music)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Go for a SVS sub(many to choose from) and like John said spend the rest on a nice speaker package.From what you listed speaker wise Paradigm/Rockets are good and maybe add the Axiom's to your list.
What works for alot of people speaker wise is go listen to your favorite cd at a place you can demo speakers and choose the ones you like. Everyone has there preferences for speakers.....

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Find some dealers and go listen to as much stuff as you can. IMO, i think paradigm is a lot better choice than JBL, but that's just me. And grab an SVS too.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'll keep putting up Athenas as a good choice.

Made by API, the same group that makes Mirage and Energy.

I just picked up AS-F2s for $600CAN a pair. With exchange and 3 pairs you should be able to get them for around $1400.

THEN get an SVS for that last octave.

Brent
These speakers are considered an easy load on an AMP, plus they are quite efficient ... 93DB with 1 watt

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I would second giving the Rockets a look as they are an incredible speaker that look great and don't sound too shabby either! :)

The Rocket 200 center speaker is one of the best that I have heard in the 2K and under price range...The 750's are some of the best floorstanders IMO on the market today in this price range and can easily hang with speakers that you would pay 2 to 3 times as much at a B&M store. Check out www.audioenvy.com to see if there is someone in your area willing to give you an audition! Good luck with your decision!:cool:

By the way, I would also check out the SVS subs as they are another great internet direct speaker company. :)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
John Avanti,

First let me Welcome to HTF, this is a great board, where you will find great advice regarding HT, but is this board as a guide, and let your ears make you final descition.

Because of you ratio of preference and you room dimensions, I think the JBL are very good option with an SVS.

JBL S38 $250 X3 = $750
JBL S Center $152
SVS PB2+ $1199

Thats what I would get with your budget, the S38 is very good speaker, specially for movies, it can go very low for a bookshelf, and its a neutral speaker. And the SVS will give you the impact a good HT needs.

But other setups you might want to look,

Axiom, EPIC 80 , its a little outside your budget, but the M80Ti are a great towers, and the VP150 is worth it also, this setup is very good for movies and pretty decent in music.

Ascends Acoustic , its a great internet company with good support, and even they have forum board. Try to contact CurtisSC, is a great guy, and he usually hangs here and in Ascends forums, he will give you better advice than me regarding this speakers. But this little bookshelfs are very good, incredible speakers for the money, and they also sell HSU subwoofers. I would get,
6 x CBM-170
1 xCMT-340c
1x HSU VTF3
The VTF3 is a little infirior to the SVS PB2+, but still is great sub, and you can get it a super price with the speakers, I think you can fit all of this inside the $2000.

Rockets, are great speakers, IMO a little more laid back and warm than the Axiom or the JBLs, they will be my choice if my priority was music, also their quality is top notch, but also the prices are a little high, two setups that could give you almost the same impact would be,
Rocket 550 Ultra HT$2099
Rocket 750 Signature Ultra HT $2799
Both setups dont include a sub, so you will have to still spend a little more.

FINAL THOUGHTS,
IMHO, I think the JBLs + SVS is your best bet, you have to remembre that HT (movies) are about impact and music is about accuracy, and the JBL+SVS will give you the best impact setup for your money they will also do a decent job in music, but that will depend on your personal liking. The Ascends will come in second place because of value/performace, with the VTF3 they are a great setup. The axioms will come in third because of price, but Axiom speakers are very bright and upfront, so for HT they will be also ideal. And in last place due to budget are Rockets, but this by no means they are last in quality or in sound, they make superb speakers, but due to your prefences and budget, I think they are last in my recommnedation.

With your budget you will have a good amount of possibilities, try to audtion as much as possible and let you ears decide.

Good luck with your setup,
Pablo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks