What's new

Help using 2 Zones on my 1014tx (1 Viewer)

MikeGee

Second Unit
Hey guys

I have a Pioneer 1014tx and it has 2 zones (A & B) We are doing renovations right now and i have a few walls down in the basement. I would like to make the room next to mine run as the 2nd zone for my receiver.
I was trying to figure out how to run the wires and connect them to my receiver. But couldnt really understand it.. I am currently running a 7.1 setup in my HT room.

Do i basically have to run a 5.1 setup in my HT room and use the other 2 channels as my second zone? Just curious on the connection.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
There is a major difference between Zone 2 and A/B switching, and unfortunately you don't have Zone 2. If you want speakers in the other room you will need to connect them to the B section. When the A and B are activated at the same time the surround sound in you HT will not work. Rather you will be limited to stereo. Also Zone 2 will allow a user to have two different sources run at once. So one could watch a DVD in stereo in the HT and someone in the other room could be listening to a CD. A/B switching, however, doesn't allow you to use two different sources so whatever the user in the HT will be the same as the other room.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
That is correct, to have A/B speaker switching on you 1014, your "B" speakers are your two rear channels and you now have a 5.1 HT with 2 speakers in another room. You will need to go into the menu and specify "Second Zone" for your surround back speaker setting.

Then you simply use the button on the front pannel to specify SP>A, SP>B, SP>AB, SP>off. What's unclear is weather in SP>AB mode if A speakers are downmixed to stereo. I don't believe it is as Seth=L has stated but for sure B speakers are downmixed.

However, the 1014 is not a 2 zone system as it can only process data from 1 source at a time out of all speakers. Ie, you can't watch movies in 5.1 and listen to jazz in the other room at the same time.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
In order for the receiver to power both sets of speaker simultaneously both A/B will be downmixed to stereo. Receivers simply don't have the power to run surround sound and an extra set of speakers at once. I have had many A/V receivers and they all do this. Also note that you will not have independant volume control for each set of speakers as it would be if you had Zone 2.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Most receivers I've owned could power both A and B at the same time, even the crappy Sonys I've owned - stereo only though. With most multi zone receivers, you will still be limited to stereo in the other room(s), unless you spend some serious cash.

MikeGee

Second Unit
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

The only thing i would be using the switching for is for just stereo music whenever i'd throw a party. So anything having it affect my surround in the other room while having both playing doesn't matter.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Just know whatever program you are playing it will be the same on both set of speakers. So no sweet lovin music in the bedroom and Hip hop in the HT room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks