1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help: upgrading to Atmos

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by joms, Nov 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. joms

joms Auditioning

joms
    What do you mean I am pretty decided on this setup? Of course I am decided on installing some speakers/amp/etc. What I am currently after is what brand/model of speaker I should get which is why im asking for alternatives specifically 3 to 4 options which I can audition so that I can choose among them. Sad to say, I dont have the luxury to audition all of them since they are far away, i have a ton of things to do and i have a small window to get this done before the carpenter finishes fixing our roof project and my better half suddenly decides to forgo my home theater project.

Oh by the way, not to be disrespectful or anything but the last post was directed to JohnRice. It would greatly help me if we could narrow things down to 3x speaker choices for my budget so I can audition the 3, choose 1 then finish the project.

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Those brands you mentioned are all good, so since I don't know specifically what's available to you, I suggest finding models from them in your price range and audition those. We talked about efficiency in speakers, and while it's not something I recommend basing your choice on solely, you do need to at least take a look at it. For example, the ELAC Uni-Fi speakers are exceptionally inefficient, and while they are excellent speakers for the price, I don't recommend powering them with a receiver. The main issue for them with a receiver is their impedance, which is 4 Ohm, plus their sensitivity is quite low at around 84dB. The Debuts are 6 Ohm and around 87dB, which is about as demanding as I'd recommend for a receiver. Most speakers will be fine and will be 6-8 Ohm and 90dB or so. Speakers like the Uni-Fi really need a more powerful external amp that's designed to power a speaker with those specs.

John Dirk and joms like this.
  3. joms

joms Auditioning

joms
    @JohnRice - Thanks. I've been reading around and asking friends and they've recommended the Kef Q350+Q650c as well as the B&W 606 + HTM6. I think i will forgo the B&W since their center speaker is quite small and i might just get afraid to crank the volume up on such a small center speaker (its also more expensive i believe). On the other hand, I might try to add the kefs on my list of speakers to audition. The Q650c has 2x 6.5" and 1x tweeter/mid combo which i believe which can handle a bit more strain than the B&W's center.

4. JohnRice

John
    Yeah, definitely give the Kefs a try.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I'll second John Rice's post. I have a pair of their LS50s. I never thought a bookshelf size speaker could ever sound as good as a good pair of floor standing speakers, especially with only one 6" bass/midrange woofer and a tiny tweeter. The KEF LS50s sure changed my mind on that score. They sounded almost every bit as good as my B&W C9s. If I hadn't already had the C9s and 8s, I would have bought 4 more of the KEFs to keep everything more consistent. I'm using them as rear surrounds, but, honestly, they are kind of being wasted in that position.

I think you would be very satisfied with the 350 and 650 series.

One of the unusual things about their Uni-Q speakers is that they can be played loud and yet a person can hold a conversation without having to yell to be heard. Definitely a speaker to look at and the build quality is solid; although, I am referring to the LS50s.

6. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    I was referring to the room not being optimal but most setups require compromise in one area or another, mine included.

Not at all. I wasn't sure which of us you were speaking to. Good luck with your project.

7. joms

joms Auditioning

joms
    Thanks for the replies. Just a quick question though, do you think the kef Q350+Q650c can handle loud volumes when i watch action videos? I really want to crank the volume up without fear that I would bust the speakers. (like watching star wars / lotr / etc, i want to really experience turn things up). (note: i do have a subwoofer that can handle loud volume so i guess i can just make the crossover settings higher right?) - sub is an svs pc12 ultra.

8. JohnRice

John
    If you really want to crank it, I'd suggest large, floorstanding speakers. ELAC Debut F6.2, for example, at the minimum.

And a receiver that has preamp outputs so you can add an external amp.