HELP upgrading speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan T, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Hi,
    I’ve been wanting to upgrade my speakers for a while but I have very limited funds, my limit is around $300. I'm curious if you think it would be worth upgrading my speakers or not, you can take a look at my speakers here http://ryanstheater.tripod.com/myspeakers/
    There are a few reasons why I want to upgrade mainly because my speakers are not voice matched and sony does not sell a center speaker to match my front towers also I’m wanting speakers that will fit in my tiny room better (my room is 10'x14'). One set of speakers I’m interested in are fluace AV-HTB you can see them here http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html
    they have good specs as far as in concerned and they’re at a great price, sounds like a good deal to me. Since bass is really important for me I’m buying a shiva, so getting a speaker package without a sub is kinda important, it will also keep the cost down. So what do you think, would the fluance speakers be much of an upgrade compared with my other speakers? If you have any other suggestions about what speakers I should get or if it is worth it to upgrade please tell me. Thanks a bunch.
    Ryan
    P.S. I listen to music about 70% of the time so big front speakers are preferred

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

3. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I would love to have a pair of paradigm speakers but the reason my price limits around $300 is not because I can't get the money its because I really doubt my parents will let me spend that much on speakers. I guess I should have motioned I’m 15 years old and just want a set of speakers that sound nice for music and for movies, they don’t have to be supper high end speakers like PSB, B&W or paradigm I just want to replace my old ones with some new ones that have voice matched center and surrounds. I would be spending $115 total on the shiva (I already have a box). I don't know if I would be willing to buy used speakers or not, if I’m going to spend that much money I don't know if I want to take a chance with speakers that might not work for very long or something. Also my dad has a business license so if any good speaker companies offer dealerships that would be one way to save allot of money and buy them factory direct. About the fluance I heard there a company that's just starting out and there really trying to sell speakers fast to get recognized I guess. You can purchase these same fluance speakers on ebay with a guarantee that you will like them or your money back but if I did not like them I would have to pay for shipping witch is $54. It would be nice to have towers for the fronts but I would not want to sacrifice sound quality for looks. Maybe I could talk my parents into letting me get some $400 speakers but I doubt it. I mean really is there no speaker sets in the $200 to $300 dollar price range worth getting, I've been to best buy and heard there $150 tower speakers and they sound so much clearer than my speakers right now and they sell matching centers for $100 and two bookshelf speakers for $60 retail (most likely could get them for a lot less online). Again if you could give me any suggestions I would be happy to hear them. Thanks.
    Ryan

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

At this particular moment in time, I'd have to say it isn't worth it. A good surround system will run you $700 on up. Then again, a good pair of speakers generally runs that much. For a pair of bookshelves, look into the Axiom M3ti or AV Reality special one or HTD Level III bookshelves. You may also choose to get a pair of DIY ACI Opals or Emeralds if you can build the cabinets (wood shop perhaps?).

5. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

Man you guys where right I take back what I said about the Sony’s I went to listen to them yesterday and they sounded pretty bad, there treble was tinny. I have a pair of EV studio monitors one is in pretty good shape but the other needs a new woofer. I think I will forget about buying tower speakers until I can save up more and get some nice ones. I just sent an e-mail to EV asking if I can get a replacement woofer for my blow out one, If I can I will have a nice set of speakers that I’m satisfied with. I still want to sell my four tower speakers and buy four satellite speakers and a matching center. I can get a close out deal on a set of audio source speakers for around $200 (retail is like $500), I know there not going to be really good quality but since I listen to music most the time I just want some small out of the way speakers that match acoustically. Thanks for the all the advice.
    Ryan

6. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

I totally agree with Saurav as to what you should do. At 15 you have to buy things very cautiously. First off you are a member here, that helps a lot. Secondly you seem to know what to look for (voice matching etc), and that is another plus.
    For $300, check out some good quality bookshelf speakers. If you really really want to think longrun, that being you might keep these until college or like when your 22, get some good bookshelf speakers that have matching center and front towers. After a while, since movies aren't that important, pick up that center channel. The next step is to evaluate all your equipment and see what you want to upgrade.
    You now have a matching left/center/right setup. If you think everything else, (receiver, cd player, sub) is good then perhaps you might buy the matching towers, or larger matching bookshelf speakers. this gives you a nice matched setup bought over time. I did this, and at no point did I spend more than $300 per upgrade.
    Good luck, and listen to lots of speakers!
    Jon

7. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Quote:
    " For $300, you can get truly excellent monitors - PSB, Paradigm, B&W and NHT come to mind immediately, there are many others. "
    what Saurev said.
    Check out a local hi-fi store. I had limited myself to Polk or JBL since I was convinced I couldn't afford anything in the specialty shops. After loads of reading and checking out a shop, I've seen this isn't the case. Going shopping myself this weekend for fronts and a center; usage is 65/35, movies to music but I want the music to sound GOOD when I do listen. Have a sub already so "bookshelves" will work for me. My targets are:
    B&W DM303, $150/ea
    Paradigm Titans, $220/pr
    Phase Technology Teatro 4.5, $260/pr
    Excited about the B&W, found rave reviews in my magazines I'd overlooked before. It can be done [​IMG]

8. KevinMcL

KevinMcL Agent

Ryan,
    Asking for everyone's advice is all fine and good, but remember who's paying for, and has to listen to these new speakers. Everyone's opinion is subjective, and should be taken with a grain of salt. What it really comes down to is; whatever sounds good to you, and is affordable to you, is a great deal. Period.
    When I was 15 (10 years ago now), I built a set of towers using Pioneer car audio components, and subs. I've sold them to my little brother, who loves them as much as I did. The sound breathtaking for the amount of $$ involved. As I recall, they were about $375CAN. Just something to think about.
    Good luck.