What's new

Help! TV is buzzing and it ain't the speakers (1 Viewer)

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
I have an older Sony t.v. (circa '97 or '98) KV32S40 and there is one hell of a loud buzzing coming from the back of the tv (the back of the gun I guess). Anyone else had this sort of thing before. Sometimes it quiets down but not lately. I know I'll have to call a repair guy, but I was curious if this sounds familiar to anyone else. The picture looks great, it's just very noisy.
[Edited last by Gordon Moore on November 07, 2001 at 10:52 AM]

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Gordon,
Has it always buzzed like this or did it just start recently?
I had an S-series 32 inch Sony with a noticeable buzz, faint but always there, especially when displaying bright scenes or when lots of lines were in the picture--venetian blinds for example. Never did figure out what it was. A former video tech where I work said it might be the analog comb filter or the power supply.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think its trying to tell you something. I'd unplug it until you can have a pro look at it. (Or at least let them hear the buzz over the phone).
I'd also be very concerned if the buzzing stops. If that is your only set, I'd keep a fire extinguisher close by.
Glenn

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Steve,
it always had a faint (really faint) buzz. But recently, this is something else.
Glenn,
Yeah, I think it might be trying to tell me something too. Part of me wants it to be dead so I can get a RPTV. But another part doesn't want to purchase a new t.v. so soon.
A friend of mine had a different brand with a similar buzz and the tech told him that the tube was gone. His was under warranty however.
If 3 yrs is all I can get out of a Sony T.V. that will be the last Sony I ever buy. Of course it's all speculation until the repair guy comes on Tuesday. I'll let you guys know what the prognosis is next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks