Help trying to understand what goes with what?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by joelEM, Feb 4, 2005.

1. joelEM

joelEM Auditioning

Feb 3, 2005

1) My Dell laptop writes DVD+RW and DVD+R

2) I am looking for a DVD recorder that fits into a spot that is only 2 7/8 inches wide.

3) I have found two that fit but both record in DVD- and both say they play only DVD-, though on some forum users say that one also plays dvd+. The manufactuer (Pioneer) says it plays only dvd-.

4) I plan on getting a digital Camcorder soon.

5) I assume that I'll use my laptop (my desktop has a dvd player but not a recorder) to edit the camcorder and write to a DVD to show on my TV. But if the computer only writes in DVD+ and the recorder that fits only plays in DVD-, aren't I in trouble?

All these =s and -s are driving me crazy.... If my computer writes +, then don't I need a player that plays +? And if the DVD recorder writes -, then will I be able to play it on my computer??

Thanks..... Or shall I go back to hanging scribbled pictures on the door of the fridge??

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

May 25, 2003
    2 7/8 inches wide? You don't mean 2 7/8 inches tall? My step-father got a Gateway recorder that will fit in that space (I think), if you do mean tall. Check their site. It records +R discs, but plays back both.

If I were you, I'd replace the burner in the Dell, with a dual format burner. Then you can burn whichever format you want. You can get them for less than $100 now. Even a Double Layer burner, that does both formats, are under $100. Then you can put a video capture card in, for capturing the video from camcorder.
    The stand-alone burners can only record stereo. The pc burners can backup your dvds in 5.1/6.1 surround. I much prefer the pc burners.................. [​IMG]
    Good luck!