Help. Trying to go from 5.1 to 7.1 in less than ideal situation

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MikeLi, Nov 25, 2005.

1. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I have an extra set of matching speakers and would like to try 7.1 set up. Here is the problem. Have had 5.1 forever and have dipoles on the sides. My seating is already 2 feet from the back wall so I cannot put the backs up high (due to a large window and drapes behind the couch as well.

So what I am going to experment with is putting them in different ways, on their backs facing up, on short stands facing each other and all behind or at each end of the couch.

Anybody have any ideas and also what or where I could go to get like plastic or metal mesh materials to put over the speakers if they are facing up from the floor to protect incase someone drops somthing. The cloth grills that are on them now won't do any good in that department... Thanks a lot.

Mike

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Can't offer much help but I'd also try on stands firing at the side walls. Depending on where they are, you may want to try moving the existing surrounds forward a bit. IMO speaker placement is entirely some kind of "black art" [​IMG] and only experimenting will show what you like best.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Yea I know.. I am just too picky and like to do everything right and my room just isn't going to let me do it properly so I am having to get creative. I think I have found something to try instead of build that can hold them up far enough to not block the port and protect the wiring fixture. Since it will not be seen looks are not all that important. Anyway goin to give them a try.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=240-746

Mike

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Here's what I say: a well set up 5.1 system will beat a mediocre 7.1 system every time.

If you don't have the space, then don't assume 7.1 will be better than 5.1.

Now, with that being said. [​IMG] Some people have had luck by moving the sides slightly forward of the listening position, and putting the rears as far back as you can get them.

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Kevin.. I totally agree with you 100%. Had I not upgraded my Rocket 750 to 850's and at the same time picked up these 250's I would not even be going though this much hassle. But I am going to try a few different things and see what becomes of it. If not I will put them back in the boxes and store them in the attic for if we ever move... "Wife in background saying..... Honey I sure would like a new house! ha...

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Those stands are a nice find.

I feel for you, my couch is right up against the back wall.

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Well we are going to give several different options a try and see how things sound and if I can't do it then I will go back to 5.1 and be happy anyway. Just hate to have these speakers sit around and not be used as they are some pretty spendy ones for back speakers. Wish me luck and give me a week and will post back the results..
    Mike

8. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I would have thought by now that I would not be the only one in this position and other would have had to try different things and would have a good answer by now. Anyway I should be finished hooking everything up today and will let you know how it sounds.
    Mike

9. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

Mike, I have a very similar room than yours. My seat is actually closer to the back wall than yours. I also use tripole speakers for the left/right surround(M&K SS-150). I had a hard time deciding how to setup the rear speakers. I was given some very good advise from Barry at M&K. He advised me to go with the M&K CS29 column surrounds and they are phenominal! They fire upward and to the sides so it doesn't have a super direct sound. It also has a driver on the bottom so when super bassy things happen in the movie, you can actually feel it under the couch. It creates a bass shaker effect with certain things. I really think you would absolutely love them. They have them refurbished on M&K's site for around $800 bucks! By the way, the stuff on the refurbished page is just like buying it new. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I have the whole M&K 150 system and I think the column surrounds are the coolest speakers of all of em.

10. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

John... do you have the web site for their stuff and b stock stuff? Thanks
    Mike

11. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

Sure. Just go to www.mksound.com and place your pointer on top of the page where it says "Whats new." Then you will see a bar that says "Refurbished page." After you get into the refurbished page, click the brouse catalog button. Then you click to "see all speakers." Then just scroll down to the column surrounds. I just looked. They have the CS32, CS29, and CS22 all in stock. Barry pushed me toward the shorter ones because he said that that sound has more of a chance to develop. I went with the middle size one. If you do get it, let me know what you think.[​IMG]