Help Triggering Traffic Lights

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Tsutsui, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

If Traffic Lights function on electric currents and the principles of an inductor. Then Would attaching magnets to my dirt bike's frame help set off the triggers? What if I took a large piece of Iron and welded it to the base of the frame or something. Would that make stop lights change for my Yamaha XT200 Motorcycle?

I'm having trouble because traffic lights ignore my presense.

Has anyone done any experimentation with traffic light sensors. I know that all the traffic lights in my area use inductive loop technology. Would the polarity matter for how I attached a magnet to the bike?

Any help would be great because I'm tired of waiting for cars at traffic lights before the light will turn green for me.

Thanks

2. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

run the lights, the cops will never detect you or your bike [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'd try your ideas, coudln't hurt anything.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    They actually sell specific "Green Light Triggers" for motorcycles.

One is here.

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Dude, if there isn't any vehicle around to trigger it on all four sides...just go already.

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Yeah, but that's when the cop will pop up from out of nowhere and nail his ass.

You know it's true!!

6. Mark Fontana

Mark Fontana Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    There's also this device... (perfect for drivers who think they own the road and want to take their selfishness to the next level [​IMG]

7. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Several states have laws that allow a motorcycle to "run" the light after they have stopped, and if it does not change for them.

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Anyone want to take a piece of iron or magnet and walk up to a traffic light and test it out for me? The lights are awful busy where I live in Socal. [​IMG]

I'll try it out, but I think it'll have to be really early in the morning. The thing is, I want to make sure the magnet or piece of iron is changing the light, and not the bike triggering it at random. That's why I'd have to walk up to the sensors on foot with the iron in my hand.. heh

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Or a bicycle... We have those problems too... probably more so than motorcyles since we have less mass.

If you can see the induction wires in the ground (usually in a square, I'm told it's best to get right over a corner....

And yes, I've heard its legal to run them if you can't get it triggered but I don't recall the specifics and I'm sure it may vary from state to state.

Jay

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Chris,

Malcolm gave you a link to a finished product that does exactly what you want for $12. Just order it and try it out...

11. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I like the product Mark suggested. I've heard about them before, but I didn't know you could buy them. Of course, the website states that you have to be authorized in order to buy one.

12. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Bring a BB gun and shoot out the red lights.

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I always wondered how the sensors worked...I see the rectangular patches in the asphalt. I should have guessed induction. I'll blame Thomas Edison and praise Tesla as penance.

14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    We're old-fashioned here. All our traffic lights are on timers. The times change at different times of the day (IE: rush hour, late night, etc...) Local law enforcement and emergency vehicles just run the reds here.