Help..tried 563a ...returned.. triing 685v..not impressed

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Shane PG, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Shane PG

Shane PG Auditioning

I want to replace my old sony DVD player with a progressive scan unit, preferalby with one wiht SACD. I tried the 563a and it had a great picture, but I was noticing a flicker in the black bars above the picture...back it went. I am currently triing a sony 685v. The picture seems "soft" and I think it has the "Chroma bug" when watching "the fighting Temptations last night the reds seemed splotchy. I was looking at the HT secrets, and it seems every unit has some issue or another. one of the other units I am looking at is the Denon 910.
    I just want a decent DVD player for under $300...HELP!!!

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Shane, did you use Avia or some other DVD to calibrate the picture? Maybe I am not as big a videophile as some because after calibration, I got a very good picture. And NO, I didn't go around playing specific scenes trying to find a chroma bug, which it probably has. With the 685 I used the Cinima 2 picture setting (was able to get a good black level with that setting) and left the player in Progressive Auto. After calibration I thought the picture looked better than my Onkyo SP800. I am waiting on some cables to be better able to compare the video of the 685 vs the SP800 but I am really more concerned about the SACD comparison. I should be able to very fairly compare 2 channel SACD of the 685 vs the SP800. After swapping the players out a couple of times, the biggest difference in the sound is the Sony's WARM presentation vs the Onkyo's clear/colder sound.

Maybe trying this one from audioadvisor (30day return policy helps but you won't get a great price)
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...Disc%20Changer
    You will notice they carry a Philips 963 DVD player which has the DCDi interlacer (the best) but they sell that for $500. I think it can be found for $350-$400 but not sure.