What's new

HELP!!!! Toshiba TV and Dish 6000 (1 Viewer)

HiHoStevo

Agent
Real Name
Steve
I am hoping there is a "guru" out there that can help me with my problem.....
I have a Toshiba TP71H95 RPTV. I have had the TV for over a year and it is working great. Today I finally jumped into the HD pool with the Dish 6000 receiver. All of the satellites are up reception is great, but something weird has cropped up.
When I view any of the Dish HD channels in SD mode (S-video to Video 1 input) the pictures are very nice and are being broadcast in 16x9. When I select either Color Stream or DTV with the 6000 connected to the appropriate inputs then switch the 6000 to HD mode, the image comes on and the colors and resolution are marvelous......... BUT.... the image is squeezed so that the 16x9 broadcast is now being shown in 4x3 mode. So even though the image looks great everything is a little taller and thinner than it should be.
I can find no menu options that allow me to modify this, I have checked through the owners manual (nothing there), and I have spoken to Dish advanced tech support. Dish claims that as I am receiving the signal fine in SD mode it is a TV problem not a receiver problem. They say my TV is doing some type of "auto-conversion" on the image. I can find no reference to this in the manual and of course Toshiba is not open until Monday, when I will be out of town. When I play a DVD that is shot in any letter-box format, it is shown in that format, what the heck is going on with my TV?????????
Please respond if you have a clue or an answer to this dilemma!
If you are in the mood you can even call me (toll-free) at 877-243-6230.
Thanks,
Steve A

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It sounds like you are watching in stretched mode.
Press the "*" (star) key on your Dish 6000 remote to cycle through the different video modes that the receiver offers.
- Steve

VicRuiz

Second Unit
It's not the stretch mode. It's that until this year Toshiba 4:3 TV's did not offer the 16:9 squeeze for HD signals. You need to do the service menu tweak described HERE .
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

HiHoStevo

Agent
Real Name
Steve
I followed Steve's suggestion with the "*" key. As I cycle through the setting the first time it seemed to look the best on the "stretch" mode. After watching for a while, I cycled through the Stretch, Grey Bar, Full Zoom, Partial Zoom, and Normal... Actually I don't really see any difference now between any of them. Maybe it's just my eyeballs getting strange, but it does not seem to make much difference on my set.
I am going to see if I can follow the instructions for the Toshiba Squeeze... however, they were written for the Toshiba X81 models not my TP71H95 so I am not sure if they will work.......
First I have to figure out where I find the Trap, Para, Wid, and HIT.
Thanks again,
Steve

William Kwa

Auditioning
When I purchased my 6000 receiver, the salesman asked whether I have the Toshiba RPTV for they are known to have the mentioned problem. Hope you got the fix from Toshiba.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks