What's new

Help: Toshiba TN50X81 and Motorola DCT5100 (1 Viewer)

Steve_D

Second Unit
I finally got HDTV from my cable provider (they just started offering it, despite the fact that I was "HDTV ready" about 3 years ago), and am ecstatic about the picture and sound quality. However, I have a question about video outputs of the cable box.

When I set the output to 1080i, my TV stretches and distorts the picture to 4:3, and has some problems with centering of the image on some channels. When I set the output to 480p, everything is DVD like in 16:9 which is a vast improvement over regular cable and I'm happy with it, but I can't understand why the TV or box or combination won't show 1080i in 16:9? I don't think my TV does the squeeze trick properly without ISF calibration...but shouldn't I at least get an actual resolution of 810i or something like that, shown in the correct aspect ratio, using the 1080i output?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

YOur TV does 1080i in a 4:3 space. There is no 810i mode. That was introduced the next year.

The only way to fix this is to do the 16:9 squeeze tweak for Toshiba sets ... see the keohihdtv site for how to do it ... takes 4 to 5 hours. A calibrator can do this for you but it will cost a lot of money given the time needed. Best to do it yourself.

Other solution is to buy Toshiba convertor box ($150 ) that converts 1080i to 810i ... but this introduces lots of downconversion artifacts. I don't think the boxes are available any more.

Some cable boxes will output a 810i signal with bars ... have to read instructions.

Regards

Steve_D

Second Unit
Thanks Michael.

Sounds like a DIY project, or time to buy a new set and sue Tosh for claiming "HDTV-ready"...lol

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You cannot sue them for that as it does deliver all 1080i of the signal. No wait, this is america ... you can sue anyone for anything ... winning is another matter.

The set was designed at a time when they thought that all HD boxes would have 810i downconversion. It was one approach or the other ... neither was wrong, but one approach was less expensive.

So DIY ... it is not that hard. I've walked many enthusiasts through the process myself.

Regards

Steve_D

Second Unit
just kidding about the sue part...that is why I lol'd, although clearly my set is not HDTV ready when that was the primary reason I paid double the going rate of non HD RPTV's for it.

that aside, I very much appreciate your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks