Help! Toshiba SD-4800 DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas J, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Douglas J

Douglas J Auditioning

I just bought the new Toshiba SD-4800. I can't find any adjustment to increase DB on any of the speakers. In "test tone" the DVD player only allows decreasing of DB from 0 to -12. Can this player increase it anywhere?

My Marantz reciever doesnt have a seperate subwoofer level control. MY old Sony DVD player did.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

From calibrating my system before my 4800 I knew which speaker was the quietest (lowest sensitivity). I set that speaker to 0db and adjusted all of the others down to the appropriate level. I can also adjust the DD and DTS LFE levels on my receiver so I think think that if I needed to make and adjustment to my sub's gain for any reason with the analog input, I could compensate for that with DD and DTS sources. I don't really care about calibrating it to "reference" levels for DVDA, I'm more concerned with balancing the channels. I would give that approach a try.

I haven't really thoroughly calibrated my system with the 4800 because I'm taking it back.... to menu dependant and really noisy when it operates. I hope you have better luck with yours, there are many things I really like about it.

3. Douglas J

Douglas J Auditioning

If I set the Sub to 0 db and the rest of the speakers to minus -8 to -10 db to compensate, I will have to turn my reciever up as loud as it goes to get all the other speakers to play at a reasonable volume. I really need a new reciever I think to overcome this problem.
    My reciever is the only weak link remaining in my theater.

Other than that, I think its a great DVD player. Mines quiet.

4. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

The lack of level control for the sub seems to be the real difficulty. It sounds like this is part of the problem with DVDA LFE channels being ~10dB low. If you can turn up the gain on your sub and then increase the rest of the channels on your Marantz accourdinly, you may be able to come to a sort of compromise on both sides... maybe a little hot on Movies, and low on Music.

I'm not really an expert but I'm sure others will have better suggestions. I'm glad you enjoy the Toshiba... mine is really just too noisy.

5. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

What kind of a Marantz do you have? On my 5200 I don't have any problem with DVD Audio, but I did have a problem with the video. When watching a movie in letterbox mode, half the screen became noticably brighter. I connected the DVD player directly to my T.V. (Projection screen) and the brightness dissappeared. I still wanted to run the S Video through my Marantz though, as there are many more options available. I fixed the problem by going into the picture part of the 4800's menu and turned the brightness to -7. I then turned the contrast up to +6. The problem dissappeared, and the picture was better than ever. No idea why. I'm wonderiing if any other owners of this Toshiba have experienced anything similar