Help! Toshiba 57H81 HD question...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by steve jaros, Oct 31, 2003.

1. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    I own a Toshiba 57H81 and i want to add an HD tuner so as to view HD signals.

Does anyone know the name of the tuner i need for my set, how much it costs, where i can get it, etc.?

Thanks!

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I have the 57HX81- very similar model and year. I use the Hughes 86 HD receiver, but you can use most any HD receiver as long as it has RGB component outputs. And most all will have them.
    You really need to think about whether you want one that will decode DirecTV or Dish signals- that will help you narrow your choice.
    The broad answer to your question is that most any HD receiver will work. And it can run anywhere from $400 on up.

3. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    James -

As of now, i wasn't thinking of using a Dish service - i would get the HD signal from Cox Digital Cable. Does that have any impact on my decision?

Thanks, Steve

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Steve, Cox supplies a HD box when you request their HD service (here in Boston it is an extra $2 per month). You cannot purchase a regular OTA HD tuner because they usually do not use the same tuning standard as a cable only box. I would contact Cox and see what they offer.

5. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Jeff - to clarify:

I know Cox supplies an HD box, but i thought that the only function of the Cox box was to supply your household with an HD signal. But i'd still need to get an HD receiver for my "HD Ready" TV to enable it to receive and display and HD signal.

Or does the Cox box do both?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but i just want to know what i have to get...

Steve

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The Cox HD box *is* an HD tuner. It receives, decodes and outputs the HD signal to the HD component inputs on the TV. There is no need to buy another box.

7. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Jeff - Wow! Thanks for the info!

Steve