Help! Toshiba 3109 dual DVD player keeps freezing...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by William K, Aug 1, 2003.

1. William K

William K Stunt Coordinator

OK, so I have a Toshiba 3109 which I bought roughly 3 years ago and worked great! I love the remote and the dual tray and don't wish for a different set up. However, in the last month or so I've had problems. It first started when the movie would get stuck and not continue to the next scene and I would have to "fast forward" past the glitch to the next chapter. Now, it just freezes and will not do anything unless I hit "stop" then play again to resume where it left off. Sometimes it freezes so bad I have to turn the machine off and seek out the chapter I was watching!

A buddy of mine on this board here suggested that I may have "cooked" something inside because for a while I had the player sitting on top of my reciever (a Sony which runs warm). I have since relocated the player off the reciever but the problems persists.

Any possible solutions, thoughts, advise short of buying a new player. I'm getting married so I'm trying not to spend money on "toys". Could it be something other than the heat from the Sony? Could the laser need a cleaning? Or am I just wishful thinking and looking at a new player?

Any thoughts are welcome!

Thank you!

Bill

2. William K

"Hello? Is this thing on?"

"Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?"

[​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

First of all, you risked ruining your receiver by placing another component directly on top of it. Remember that.

As for the player, a second-generation unit that was quite popular four years ago, how frequently is it used? And I mean, do you watch several films back to back? If so, then the unit is running hot (and DVD players, most of them not known for their ruggedness, run awfully hot). Also, do you keep the player dust-free? If dust makes its way inside the player and coats the pick-up lense, then it needs to be cleaned.

Finally, are you feeding the player discs that are in good condition?

4. William K

First of all, you risked ruining your receiver by placing another component directly on top of it. Remember that.

Thanks... where were you when I bought it 2 years ago? I asked the forum for advise on the unit and placement with no negative responses regarding putting the DVD player on top of the reciever.

As for the player, a second-generation unit that was quite popular four years ago, how frequently is it used? And I mean, do you watch several films back to back? If so, then the unit is running hot (and DVD players, most of them not known for their ruggedness, run awfully hot). Also, do you keep the player dust-free? If dust makes its way inside the player and coats the pick-up lense, then it needs to be cleaned.

I watch movies anywhere from once a week to 7 days a week depending on my free time. During the height of my Chemo a few years back the thing almost never turned off while I was on the couch.

As for dust free? It is away from windows and vents and I dust my units with that room every other week or so. If there is dust in it, how do I clean it?

Finally, are you feeding the player discs that are in good condition?
    All my disks are brand new and kept in the cases. It is not the disks.

5. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

William

Even brand new discs can have "issues" with certain players, and I have had some discs that have played fine the first go round, then a year later become unplayable. DVD delamination?

So it may be the discs or the player. I suggest trying your DVDs on a friend's machine. If they play with no problem, then I'd opt for a new, basic player, maybe get a DVD-A type.

Incidentally, in my bedroom system, where lack of space is a real problem, I have 4 components stacked. Don't tell anybody. [​IMG]

6. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I used to have a 3109 and it was a solid performer. Never gave me any problems. Played any DVD I put in it. I just gave it to a friend with my old analog RPTV.

There have been many posts about the 2109/3109 having problems, mine was always problem free.

Hope you solve your issue. Keep in mind you can get a nice reliable player for under $150, so if the 3109 is unfixable dont worry.

Earle