What's new

HELP!: Too Many Component Inputs!! (1 Viewer)

HanLee

Grip
I personally am not looking to pass HD signals through my switch box. I only wish to see a marked improvement over the composite cables that I am using right now. Maybe later on when I do get an HDTV I'll look into a more suitable solution. But I only wish to get a "better picture" than what i have right now. Just curious, how many people are in the same boat as I'm in? Just looking to pass component for a better picture and not pass a HD signal to an HDTV? Thanks for the info Mario.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
OK, I'm confused. On the Crutchfield website, they claim that the JVC JX-S111 has 30 MHz bandwidth for the component inputs and 10 MHz bandwidth for the composite inputs. Here is the link. Anybody else confused?

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Yup... I'm confused as well Todd, but I've got one on order. The JVC site shows a different looking model as well. Hope it does the 30MHz... we'll see.

David Pitkin

Auditioning

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Ok, time to put everyone's mind to rest.
I just received this thing and tried it out. So far I was able to try both a DVD and my PS2. I first popped in 3000 Miles to Graceland and the picture looked very red... I never saw the movie before so I thought I better grab a DVD that I HAVE watched. I popped in Phantom Menace and it too looked very red... so now Im thinking "Great, I just bought an $70 POS". Just to be sure, I went and tried my PS2 but it looked fine...
Anyways, I plugged my old Radio Shack composite switch box back in and it too looked red so I knew something was up. I disconnected everything and went DVD straight to my HDTV and it looked GREAT!
Giving it one more try and verifying that all cables were tight, I went and hooked everything back thru the JVC switch box and things look great! Although only slightly better than the composite (not sure if my mind was playing tricks on me) but I could literally not tell a difference if I went right from DVD to HDTV than if I went thru the JVC switchbox. So this thing earns a big :emoji_thumbsup: from me.
Granted, I may not have the most discerning eye, but my set is ISF calibrated and my DVD is progressive scan and I am very happy to have 3 more inputs on a component level.
Hope this helps everyone. Feel free to ask questions.
I should add: the box is very robust - much like a calbe box. It's made of metal and plastic and doesn't "feel" cheap. I guess if you're willing to spend $70 go for it... otherwise save $40 and get the RS composite switcher... you'll probably not notice much difference. I've got so much invested in Home Theater stuff, this was a no-brainer for me.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
This is what I use:
http://www.pelicanacc.com/search/detailed.php?id=71
Purchased from Fry's Electronics for $19.95. It works very well. Yes, you do have to get up and switch the inputs. However, the unit is very stylish (blends with the other HT hardware well). Has 4 inputs (so that I can keep one of the back component inputs free for that HDTV tuner). Also has pre-made labels for all systems (mine has XBox, GameCube, Playstation 2 and DVD). The picture is the same as if they were plugged into the tv direct. Highly recommended.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Thanks Rob,

One question though, does the literature specify that the composite connections are 10MHz and the components are 30MHz?

ruhrie

Agent
Rob, thanks for the review. I have been eyeing this set as well. I have my DVD player, XBOX, and Gamecube having component connections and only one input on the TV. I was going to go the composite switcher route for 25 bucks, but hell I have already invested thousands in a home theater system, I might as well spend the extra 50 bucks for this player. I have looked a JVC's website and it sucks as far as info. I would not be suprised if it is incorrect. Crutchfield is usually right on the money. The switcher probably cannot do 720p, but I am sure it will do 480p after reading your review. Looks like I will be placing my order tonight!

Rich

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Just to follow up on my own question...

Composite:10MHz

Component:30MHz

Confirmed! - This is a nice passive unit for $69.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks