What's new

HELP!: Too Many Component Inputs!! (1 Viewer)

HanLee

Grip
Well, I got greedy and just bought my self a PS2 and an Xbox within the last week, and I am planning on buying the Gamecube whenever the local store gets it in stock. But my problem is that I have too many component inputs for my TV, which only has one set. I am already using my component input on the TV for my dvd player, but I wish to use it with my game consoles as well. So here is my dilemma, what would you guys (gals) suggest that I do?

1) Use s-video for my consoles and route it through my receiver (Denon 2800) and keep component input of TV strictly for my DVD player.

2) Get a component switch box to handle all my consoles and dvd player. ( have no idea where to start looking for a decent component switch box) ( I wish to go this route)

I am trying to get the best possible experience out of my gaming and movie experience as possible. If I use s-video routed through my receiver to the TV will there be a difference from it if I just go directly from my source to the TV? And also for gaming, will I see that much of an improvement from component and s-video? I only have a 27inch Panasonic superflat, no HD, but looking into it for the near future. I hope all this made sense. Any help on any of these questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Han- there are some excellent solutions in this thread about the same problem you are having.
It seems the best route is to go for a switch box. The best bang for your buck in component switchers is either the JVC-JXS111 ($100 at onecall.com) or a regular RCA composite passive switcher from Radio Shack. Read Phil's post in that thread for more info on that.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Guys, I use the composite switcher from Radio Shack. I think I paid $30 for it. To be honest, I don't notice any visual degradation. Of course, my eyes aren't ISO calibrated, but for $30 what the heck. It has 4 ins and one out and works like a champ.

I am intrigues by the JVC - JXS111 but I cannot tell if it has COMPONENT out either. It sounds like it just has an S-Video out... which defeats the whole purpose. Can anyone confirm if it's S or Component?

Mario_C

Stunt Coordinator
Did you guys read the links? The JVC has Three component imputs and one component output. It also has two composite/S-video inputs and one composite/S-video output. Each has stereo audio inputs/outputs. Read the links for more info.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Mario, nowhere does it specifically say "component output". Im guessing that we should assume that one output is component and the other is S-video. It would just have been nice to say that in the product description. It's just a little concerning since this thing is so cheap and most component switch boxes run upwards of a couple hundred bucks.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
The JVC looks like exactly what I'm looking for at a very reasonable price. Anybody here bought one yet? I'd love to read some reviews.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Damn!! $12 ground shipping from etronics.com! What a ripoff. This thing must weigh a ton or they are screwing us with shipping since they have the low sticker price.

Just ordered the JVC switcher... Ill let you all know how it fares.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I noticed that there is no conversion between formats. Therefore, Monitor out 1 is only usable with the 3 component inputs on the back and Monitor 2 out is only usable with one input on the back and the one on the front. Kind of a waste really. For component video, it's only 3 inputs and one output. 2/1 for s-video. For that, the Radio Shack switchbox is a lot cheaper.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Also, with the cheaper composite switcher you have the problem of finding a way to switch the audio for each source. This does all that cleanly. I can't wait to hear Rob's thoughts on the JVC after he receives it.

And did I read correctly that the switcher is HDTV compatible? I wasn't sure it had the bandwidth to handle HDTV component.

HanLee

Grip
I think I'm going to go with the Radio Shack composite switcher. Very Cheap, since I'm blowing almost 2 grand on all this new hardware and peripherals on these games systems. I need the 4 set of inputs that the Radio Shack switch offers. Don't think the JVC one will be sufficient enough for me, input wise. Need to buy something soon, missed out on picking up a Gamecube yesterday (pissed, now I have to keep calling in everyday to see if they have any in stock and rush over and hope that I get one.) , probably pick up the switch ox this weekend.

I'd also like to hear more reports of the picture quality beween the JVC swicth box and the Radio Shack composite switch box used for components. Thanks guys for all your help.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I know a number of people (myself included) that use use RCA Y splitters [1 male -> 2 female] and plug it in that way. Just can't have both sources on at the same time... On my Toshiba set, if I do, it just loses synch. No big deal, no signal degredation, and you don't have to get up and push a button. Voila!

Luke_H

Stunt Coordinator
Not to rain on the JVC parade but, in speaking with Jason at Onecall.com I've learned that the JVC 111 switch doesn't have the bandwidth necessary to switch high definition signals. It maybe no better than the old radio shack composite switcher.

I wish it weren't so. I'm very interested in seeing if this is true in practice. I tried a rca brand composite switch and DID notice signal loss.

I've been looking for an answer to this for months. And No the 800 dollar extron switch is not a good answer.

HanLee

Grip
Blah...kinda worried of doing the RCA method to switch the components now after reading what Luke had to say. But at least the $30 investment in the switch isn't too much, and hopefully I can return it if it doesn't work satisfactorily. Damn finals. Keeping me from enjoying my new toys. I'll have my last final, for a long time to come, come this Saturday morning. Finally graduating.

Mario_C

Stunt Coordinator
The JVC does not do HDTV. In would not expect it from a product with a MSRP $150.
From the JVC web site:
JVC*>*Video*>*Video Peripherals
JX-S111
Manufacturer's suggested retail price: $149.95
Video Signal Format: NTSC
AV inputs: 4 lines (incl. 2 S-Video jacks)
AV outputs: 2 lines (incl. 1 S-Video jack)
3 Component Inputs Line 1 - 3
Monitor output: 1 line (incl. 1 S- Video jack)
Video Frequency response: 10 MHz
Audio Frequency Response: 0-100 kHz
1 year parts 90 day labor warranty
Weight: 4.4 lbs
Width: 17 3/16"
Height: 1 7/8"
JX-S777
MSRP $799.95
JX-S555
MSRP $649.95
--------------------------------------
It clearly states NTSC and had a vieo bandwith of 10MHz. The other moe expensive units do HDTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks