help to pick a new widescreen..... please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lenny, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Lenny

Lenny Auditioning

May 20, 1999
    I am looking to purchase a widescreen and after reading page after page.... I am still at a loss.
    I think I have pretty much settled for about a 55" screen.
    My viewing distance is about 9', and I think a 65" screen would be too much for this short of a distance. But if I'm wrong, please let me know.
    I am currently considering the Mits WS-55907, which is the 55" Diamond series. One of my other options is the Toshiba 57H81. There is a good $1000 price difference in between the 2 sets, and I question whether the Mits is worth the extra grand. I am actually considering any sets sold at Best Buy or any Mits set, because of great no-interest financing deals.
    If I go with the Toshiba, I'll be able to upgrade my DVD player. I was thinking of picking up the Sony 700P, but after doing some reading, the opinions are really mixed, if not leaning a little towards the negative side.
    My current setup is the Toshiba SD-3109 DVD Player and a Toshiba 36" CN36H95 Direct View TV.
    I do like the 2-disc capability of my DVD player, so that's one of the drawbacks of upgrading to the Sony. But I do want to take full advantage of the capabilities of the new TV. I don't know if I can find a multi-disc progressive scan DVD Player at Best Buy, I didn't really see one on their website.
    So please help me make the decision between a new DVD player / widescreen TV at Best Buy or a new MITS.
    Thanks for your help
  2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Jun 11, 1999
    You ought to move this to the HDTV section.
    I'd wait until the DVI and FireWire digital connection battle stops.
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!