Help to get started

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pat_K, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Pat_K

Pat_K Auditioning

I hope I don't sound stupid but I am just getting into home theater and I did not realize how complicated it was. I would like to list my components and then ask questions about set-up. Any help or opinions will be greatly appreciated.
    Phillips 55" HDTV
    DSS receiver with Dolby optical output
    RCA 5 Disc CD Player with standard audio output and optical
    Sony 550 Watt Receiver
    KLH 6 speaker system with powered sub woofer
    (Future Purchase) Progressive Scan DVD
    Now for the questions:
    If the receiver controls audio, why do I need to run video in and out?
    If I use the digital (optical) audio from the DSS to the receiver and use S-video for the video, do I also need to hook up the audio cables of the S-video?
    Is it worth the purchase price of an additional optical cable to use the optical output from the CD player?
    How should I wire the speakers, through the sub woofer or should I use the receiver's sub woofer out jack with a cable to the sub woofer?
    When I do purchase the DVD, the receiver does not have component video jacks, but the TV does. Should I run the component video to the TV from the DVD and only take DVD audio to the receiver?
    I hope these questions don't seem to basic.
    Thanks[​IMG]

2. James Buhler

James Buhler Stunt Coordinator

Pat,

I hope this helps.

This gives you the option of S-video or component video switching through the receiver. (This limits the number of video cable connections to the TV. eg. you can have two or 3 s-video sources running into your receiver and only need one s-video cable run from the receiver to the TV.) There is a lot of debate surrounding this technique as some receiver's video switching capabilities may actually degrade your signal.

If I use the digital (optical) audio from the DSS to the receiver and use S-video for the video, do I also need to hook up the audio cables of the S-video?

The audio will be fine using the optical cable from your satellite to your receiver.

Please note that whatever video out cable choice you make, you have to keep that cable type consistent through the chain of connections. ie. you can't run s-video out from your satellite receiver to your Sony receiver and composite video from the Sony receiver to the TV.

Is it worth the purchase price of an additional optical cable to use the optical output from the CD player?

That depends on the quality of your CD player and your ears. With the RCA 5 disc changer you probably won't notice much of a difference using the digital connection. This one is entirely up to you!

How should I wire the speakers, through the sub woofer or should I use the receiver's sub woofer out jack with a cable to the sub woofer?

Use the sub-out jack on the receiver to the sub. Don't scrimp on this cable, buy the best you can afford.

When I do purchase the DVD, the receiver does not have component video jacks, but the TV does. Should I run the component video to the TV from the DVD and only take DVD audio to the receiver?

Yes.

Enjoy your system, you will love the new DVD player with your TV!

James

3. Pat_K

Pat_K Auditioning

James,
    Thanks for the help. You answered all of my questions so now all I have to do is run the speaker wire[​IMG] I do have one follow-up question regarding your answer to my first question:
    This gives you the option of S-video or component video switching through the receiver. (This limits the number of video cable connections to the TV. eg. you can have two or 3 s-video sources running into your receiver and only need one s-video cable run from the receiver to the TV.) There is a lot of debate surrounding this technique as some receiver's video switching capabilities may actually degrade your signal.
    Based on your experience, should I run the video through the receiver and possibly experience the degradation, or only run the audio portion?
    Thanks again for all the help.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Actually, there is a reason to go with an optical audio connection...
    Even spectacular equipment can have little ground problems. An optical connection will not carry ground-based or other electrical noise between devices,
    and
    an optical cable will not pick up any power-line induced noise, either, even if it's wrapped around a power cable. So in some ways, optical cabling is better, in that it makes clean connections easier.
    Some of us, for example, don't always have a convenient way to keep power isolated from signal. It works wonders.
    (or, if I ever have 60Hz powerline buzz getting induced via an optical digital connection, I don't want to see the power line! )
    Leo Kerr

5. James Buhler

James Buhler Stunt Coordinator

Pat,

Considering your setup, I would go straight from the source to your TV and not use the receiver's video switching. Just use the receiver for audio.

Have fun with the wiring!!

James