Help to find DVD models with media slot player capibility?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mary M S, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Trying to pick up as a gift a DVD player which will add Sony’s Memory stick viewing capability to a Sony 60” LCD Grand Wega (generation one) model # KF-60DX100.
    It’s time to give them a thank you gift and although this is for the parents who don’t notice the fact that the resolution is horrible on this set with their old non-progressive DVD player, I would prefer to get them the best pic possible (whether they appreciate it or not!)

The main point of this gift, and the one feature which has to be added is the ability to stick the Sony Memory stick straight into the DVD player to be able to view on this GW display rather than via their computer screen.
    It’s slim pickings to find DVD players with the media slot player feature.

This Sony GW model display has no DVI connection. (This was the year model before sony added the memory stick slot and DVI connector).
    Native resolution on this set is 1366x768. It will accept Standard-definition 480i and 480p sources, and the 1080i high-definition inputs, are scaled to the set's native resolution. It will accept 720p but first converts it to 480p then scales back up to its Native R.
    The Samsung may only send the higher resolution via DVI? Whereas I note the Norcent DP 501M
    Sends higher res. via component?

Near as I can tell the Samsung and Norcent both have the memory stick slot (I think) to view photos on your display screen. Any progressive DVD player models I am missing which have the memory stick media slot? Any thoughts on which unit would be best for this Sony's Native Resolution and connectivity options?
    PS. Glitch free as possible will factor into purchase, they are not handy with AV setup or funtion!

Thanks for any/all opinions!

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Sorry Mary but I was going to offer the Samsung as one of your only choices.

Just remembered a Jvc I saw here you go .

B

3. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Brent: Greatly appreciate the suggestion. Had not found the JVC unit yet all goggles using Memory stick slot variations in search word function were not bringing up SD/MMC players (only CD JPEG readers in general) not the actual slot for the stick direct play to display screen.
    Seem to need to know brand name for search to find players with this feature.

Looks like JVC XV-NP10S beats the Samsung DVDP34 whose specs worried me when a google would not even list DACs on board! Although I can’t find shootouts ect between the two regarding chroma, deck transport reliability, combing etc. But on the slim base stats I think I will try the JVC.
    Finally found that the video bandwidth is only 27mHZ on the Samsung (can find nothing at all on its audio dac).

Whereas the JVC has 192kHz/24-bit Audio listed and 10-bit/54MHz video D/A. Too bad since JVC has 4 versions of this deck they did not combine the 12-bit with the media slot!

Right now barring any other contenders I have not located yet looks as if I will be trying the JVC unit. Also ran into a blurb review which stated very user friendly unit. A plus for these particular end-users!
    Thank you very much!