Help to decide on DVD Player...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelO, Dec 6, 2001.

1. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new DVD Player. Somebody unexpectedly is buying my current one (Tosh 3109) for a good price, so I'm going to let it go. I'm not asking specifically for brand or model#, but that would be great if you guys can provide that.

I have a 27" Sony TV that doesn't even have an S-input!! I'm planning to buy an HDTV (Tosh 50") sometimes next year (but that's not a definite thing yet). I do want CDR & CDRW playback capability, MP3 is not a must, but great to have. My budget is

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

I haven't used DVD-A on my 4700 because my receiver doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs, but other than that, I think you'll really like it as an inexpensive step up from the 3109.

3. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

How is the mp3 playback? This player seems like a hit or a miss from all the review that I read..

Joel

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

5. Rich_B

Rich_B Extra

You can enjoy DVD-A w/o 5.1 inputs by accessing either DVD-A stereo tracks or utilizing the DTS/DD tracks included on many DVD-A discs. You won't realize DVD-A's full benefit, but you'll have a taste.
    IMO, DVD-A is worth the $40 to $50 premium it demands. Many players under $300 have it.
    The Panny RP56 is nice on interlaced video quality (what you'll be using) but lacks the DVD-A so I'd skip it.
    The JVC XV70/75 has DVD-A, but I can't recommend it's interlaced video output.
    The 4700 does sound like the best bet (if it's DVD-A isn't whacky).[​IMG]

6. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

You're doing the right thing. Keep coming to this forum. It should be heplfull and you'll learn a lot. Maybe change your opinion about Panasonic, that's for sure. [​IMG]

7. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Don't get me wrong... I don't hate the Panny, the reason I'm not considering the Panny is because it doesn't have the Coax out. That, and it looks is kinda ugly.. [​IMG]
    I also heard that the layer change is Panny is slow. Is there any truth in that?? And what is that flicker bug that I keep on hearing for the Panny?
    What is chroma bug that I'm hearing from the Tosh player too? Anyone would like to offer explanation? [​IMG] Which one is more bothersome? chroma or flicker bug?
    I know that problem probably doesn't concern me yet as I don't have HDTV yet, but I'd like to know.
    Is there other brand that I should consider for? What about Pioneer & Phillips?? Are they any good?
    Thanks you all... I'm learning little by little.. [​IMG]
    Joel

8. Pete N

Pete N Auditioning

Joel-

I just received a JVC 70bk from Vanns for $250 shipped and I wholeheartedly DISAGREE with all those nay-sayers about its interlaced output. I only have a 5 year old non digital TV and the Matrix looked AWESOME. maybe I am stunned because it was my first DVD player but I did a lot of research and looked for the various problems people were mentioning but could not find any. The player basically has every feature possible.

Pete

9. Al Mansur

Al Mansur Extra

If I were you personally, I'd buy an XBox. A gaming console and dvd player in 1, and only for about $300. Some people complain that the sound quality of the XBox when playing DVD's isnt as good as a standalone player, but I think it's fine.

10. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Guys,

Anybody has any luck on playing MP3 on the Tosh 4700 or 3750? Are they all crappy?

And the bug w/ JVC on subtitle in PTM is a sure thing right?

Joel

11. EugeneM

EugeneM Extra

I recommend Pioneer DV-440.

I own one. Paid $190 ( incl. delivery) at Crutchfield

It doesn't have progressive scan, but I am not buying

progressive display for at least another 2 years, I

just dont think technology is mature enough, and it

looks like they'll appear with digital video input

in future.

Beware that the next model (Pioneer DV-444) claims to

have progressive scan, but it is one of the worst

regarding deinterlacing quality.

It' doesn't play DVD-Audio, I don't really care.

It DOES play MP3, very convenient folder/file navigation

on your TV screen, sound quality is unexpectedly good

on my system. It also plays them in random mode ( I dont

think any other player does)

Picture quality is top-notch IMO.

Plays everything I throw at it - DTS CD, PAL VCD (converts

them to NTSC), PAL DVD (doesn't convert them to NTSC),

SVCD(haven't tried myself). You can use CD-R or CD-RW

It doesn't have DD/DTS decoder, but I dont need it - have

an external one.

I think it's perfect choice right now - you don't spend

much money now, you wont feel sorry when it's time to

upgrade, but it's a very good player.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions

12. Rich_B

Rich_B Extra

I have a JVC XV-FA95 and am disappointed with it's interlaced video quality. I love it's progressive film quality though. That is the reason I did not recommend it above for this application.

13. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Al,

I don't play that much vid games, so I think it would be pointless to get XBox.

Eugene,

Thanks for the expansive review, however, I think progressive scan is a must for me. Although I'm still not sure whether I'll be getting an HDTV next year, I don't want to have bought another player next year.

I'm going to BB today and get the SD4700, and test it during the weekend. Do you guys have any movie you recommend for testing the DVD?? I don't have HDTV, so it's going to be interlaced. Thanks guys!

Joel

14. Rich_B

Rich_B Extra

Test Fleetwood Mac the Dance. It looks poor on my HDready TV fed from my JVC but looks good on my interlaced CRT w/ pioneer dvd.

For 4:3 aspect tv, something full screen and NOT anamorphically recorded will give you the cleanest and highest rez signal.

Fifth Element isn't bad for a test disc as it has a full screen version on one side of the disc and it has lots of garish colors.

As with my experience though, you may end up with a great player on your current TV which won't be so hot when you upgrade. Good luck.

15. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

JoelO - honestly, I don't think you're really going to be able to do much of a test on a 27" regular TV, but the 4700 is going to look as good as anything can.

16. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    As I said, I got the Tosh 4700 from Best Buy last weekend, and was able to play a few movies (POTA, TPM & Family Man) on it. Here's my experience:
    First of all, when I was buying the player in Best Buy, the SR was trying to sell me their extended warranty for $50, and the way she explain it to me was almost like the DVD player is going to blow up in a few months, so I should really get the extended warranty. She explained that since it's a progressive player, the laser is really strong or something... and you have to clean the player every month so that it keeps working. Is that a bunch of BS or there's some truth in it?? Should I spend the $50 for extended warranty??
    Anyway.. so I borrowed POTA & TPM over the weekend. I'm using coax digital out. I watched POTA in DTS mode... and I thought I heard an audio drop, but when I replayed the scene it's sounded ok, so it could be just me, since I don't hear anything that resemble audio drop after that.
    Then I watched TPM, well... the audio was great.. no drop or any of the sort. The video, well.. it looked as good as my 27" can display.. [​IMG], but before the pod race scene.. where Sebulba & Anakin were talking in different language, it didn't display the subtitle automatically [​IMG]. Is there anyone who has the 4700 that doesn't have this problem? I was wondering whether I should exchange it w/ another 4700.
    For MP3, I think it played just fine. I used Kingston 700MB CD, burned at 8x using Nero. I burned 72 mp3 into the disc. They sounded fine, and I was using the PCM out, didn't try w/ the bitstream. There are some songs where it sounded kinda garbled on the background, but it's not that noticeable. I'm happy w/ its MP3 performance, since I won't be listening to MP3 that much anyway.
    Another thing that I notice is that the layer change is kinda slow. Noticeable slower than my older 3109. Are all of them slow?? or I'm just getting a bad player??
    Joel