Help: Time lag before receiver plays Dolby Digital sound from DVD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ben_, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Ben_

Ben_ Auditioning

I just got a JVC Receiver RX-5030VBK (with a built-in digital decoder), hooked up my 5 speakers and subwoofer, and connected my Toshiba DVD player (SD-2715 - doesn't have a decoder). The video's connected with an RCA video cable. I wanted digital sound, so I used a digital coaxial cable from the DVD player to the receiver. I believe I've correctly set-up the DVD player, since it's set to "Dolby Digital" in the setup menu. I setup the receiver as the directions instructed, but there is a time lag of at least a minute before I begin hearing sound when I play a DVD. The DVD movie is playing in Dolby Digital, so that's not the problem. I can get the sound to work immediately if I turn the surround sound off and then on again. But it goes silent again if I hit pause or skip to another chapter or anything like that.

Any idea what my problem is? I've tried all the different 'digital input' settings on the receiver, which is what the JVC instruction booklet recommends. Thank you in advance!!

2. MattJB

MattJB Auditioning

I dont know a lot about JVC but you may have a setting in your receiver that auto detects what format to play in. You may want to turn that off and manually select Dolby Digital. I have heard of other receivers that have this lag issue as well. Dont know if yours is one of those or not.

3. Ben_

Ben_ Auditioning

Yeah, I tried that (that's what the manual suggested I do). Sometimes it works, but sometimes there's still a lag. Also, the receiver will always reset the DVD setting to Digital Auto, so I'd have to switch that everytime I watch a DVD.

By the way, should I also have my audio connected from the DVD player to the receiver using normal RCA audio cables? I guess I should, since not every DVD's going to have a digital audio track.

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

That's not necessary. Every DVD will have a Dolby Digital track that's 100% compatable with using a digital coax connection.

5. Scott Lawrence

Scott Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

Yeah the dual-connection MIGHT be what's throwing the receiver off; it's worth a shot to disconnect the RCA cable and see if that helps.

If not, then to isolate the component that's problematic, I'd suggest you take the DVD player over to a buddy's place with a different receiver and see if it happens there as well. You might also want to try bringing the buddy's dvd player to your place and trying with your receiver.

Assuming your player works fine with his receiver and his player works fine with your receiver, then there's some weird compatibility problem between your units and you may want to repalce one or the other.

Assuming you also experience the delay on his receiver, then there's probably something wrong with your DVD player and you may want to repair/replace it.

Assuming you also experience the delay with your buddy's dvd player attached to your receiver, then your receiver might be a dud and you should probably exchange it (if it's new) or replace it, etc.

Cheers,
    Scott.

6. John S

John S Producer

1 minute?? I have seen 20 sec or more be normal for a given AVR but not 1 minute.

Does your DVD player have 5.1 analog out? Does you avr have 5.1 analog in? I'd switch to them if you really can't get acceptable results.