Help the noob

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RandyMcc, May 25, 2004.

1. RandyMcc

RandyMcc Agent

May 25, 2004
    Just bought the Infocus X1 projector, and picked up a low cost 150W home theater system (DVD/5.1 rec/speakers). The sound system is temporary, it will be going downstairs, and I will be upgrading it extensively once we get the room finished off.

The issue I am having is when we are watching a movie (White sheet at the moment for a screen) on the DVD player, the picture in some areas is wavy(sp?). Now when I run the same movie using my PC as the source, the picture is awesome. Could the low quality picture be caused from the low end dvd player? Or does the X1 operate differently when running my PC through it?

Hope I made sense, keep in mind I am a complete noob!

2. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

Jan 21, 2004
    The question is, how did you connect that DVD player? S-video? If so, yes the PC will yeild a much better picture through your projector because you are using the VGA input.
    There are two other ways to connect your DVD player that will be better than composite or S-video.
    One way is to buy the component to S-video connector which actually has an extra pin than standard S-video and will give you a better picture and run through the X1 at 480i after which the faroujda processor in the X1 will improve the picture.
    Now, if your DVD player happens to have a better picture than the Faroujda processor in the X1 you can buy the component to VGA adapter which in some cases better than the S-video but in many others, it's not so good. you give up some control aspects running this way.
    In any of these cases you still may find that your PC gives you more control and the best picture. If you have an XBOX, the best picture will be had via the VGA adapter.