What's new

Help the newbie!!! I need laymen speak of HT terminology!!! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
All right ladies and gents.

I broke down and bought the Mitsubishi ws-46809. It is being delivered next week.

I need simple answers regarding Film mode (3:2 pulldown) and screen burn. I know that it is bad -- and watching HD programs with the side bars should be avoided.

I am not getting the HD signal for a while so I don't think that should be a problem. Are there any other concerns involving burn in?

But I need clarification on the pulldown. I have tried to understand it and all of the frames/second and NTSC stuff has me confused. Put it to me simple.

If it helps, I have the Harmon kardon DVD-5 (not progressive)

Any other tips would be great!! Thanks

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
But I need clarification on the pulldown. I have tried to understand it and all of the frames/second and NTSC stuff has me confused. Put it to me simple.
OK, here's the simple answer for your situation: Don't worry about it. The line-doubling circuitry in the Mits will do whatever it's going to do. Since you don't have a progressive-scan player (which would bypass the line-doubler in the Mits), there's nothing else for you to think about.

To minimize the risk of screen burn-in:

1. Make sure your set is calibrated with AVIA or Video Essentials (HINT: turn down the contrast right out of the box; it will almost certainly be set too high).

2. If you're watching 4:3 material with bars at the side (whether black or gray), don't leave the set in 4:3 "standard" mode unless you're actually watching. Whenever you take a break, and as soon as you're done, switch the set to one of its wide modes.

There really isn't much more to it than that.

M.

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
Danke'

One more question. If a prog. scan dvd player bupasses the line doubler in the tv...what is the point of getting a prog. dvd player then? If the tv. doubles it to 480p why would I need a prog. player to put out at 480p originally?

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Jeff;

Chances are, a DVD player that can send a progressive video signal to your TV will produce a better picture than if you used the line doubler in your TV.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What Jeffrey F. said. DVDs store video information digitally. A good progressive-scan player reads the digital information, generates a 480p image entirely in the digital domain, and then converts it to analog (number of conversions = 1). An standard player converts the digital video information into analog 480i; then the line doubler in the Mits converts it back to digital and converts the line-doubled image back to analog (number of conversions = 3). It takes a very high-quality doubler to outperform a p/s player.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks