Help the newbie!!! I need laymen speak of HT terminology!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Rogers, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

All right ladies and gents.

I broke down and bought the Mitsubishi ws-46809. It is being delivered next week.

I need simple answers regarding Film mode (3:2 pulldown) and screen burn. I know that it is bad -- and watching HD programs with the side bars should be avoided.

I am not getting the HD signal for a while so I don't think that should be a problem. Are there any other concerns involving burn in?

But I need clarification on the pulldown. I have tried to understand it and all of the frames/second and NTSC stuff has me confused. Put it to me simple.

If it helps, I have the Harmon kardon DVD-5 (not progressive)

Any other tips would be great!! Thanks

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Danke'

One more question. If a prog. scan dvd player bupasses the line doubler in the tv...what is the point of getting a prog. dvd player then? If the tv. doubles it to 480p why would I need a prog. player to put out at 480p originally?

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Jeff;

Chances are, a DVD player that can send a progressive video signal to your TV will produce a better picture than if you used the line doubler in your TV.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

What Jeffrey F. said. DVDs store video information digitally. A good progressive-scan player reads the digital information, generates a 480p image entirely in the digital domain, and then converts it to analog (number of conversions = 1). An standard player converts the digital video information into analog 480i; then the line doubler in the Mits converts it back to digital and converts the line-doubled image back to analog (number of conversions = 3). It takes a very high-quality doubler to outperform a p/s player.

M.