What's new

Help!The model is JVC HD-61Z886 it's there 61" HD-ILA (1 Viewer)

George-D

Auditioning
My wife and I had been thinking about this set and can't decide. Have any of you had good luck with this set? The dealer is a nice guy and I know and trust him for over 20 years.He's is up front with me. He Tells me that the lamps are not running for the length of time JVC said they should be.. JVC said 1 1/2 to 2 years.. The dealer said they have been lasting 4 to 6 months. He does offer a 4year ext warranty * non JVC *on just the lamps for $125 and the lamps run $199 each with out warranty. The dealer thinks that the lamps are there first gen. and the the next lot will be much better. So does any one have this big honken TV? Maybe you can tell me how you like how long you had it and how it's working for you! How the lamp life is? Is there something better then JVC LCOS? Any info would be great! I am running a Toshiba 43" RP model *43 A10* now.What my wife and I are looking for is a bigger lighter better looking picture.The most bang for the buck with a great picture. I have cable right now so we would be getting HD through cable. If you need any other info to help us out just let me know. Oh the dealer will sell me the set for $2900 and give me $450 trade on my 43" so I'm looking at $2550 in the door. Ok we live on the 2 floor! That's why we want a lighter set. Ok I think that should cover it. Thanks!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I’m unsure of the exact nature of forum rule on links; is below an “affiliate?”

Type in:
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/176314.html
and while your at it just do some general google “[your model # and D”ILA] complaints”

Very many D’ILA owners would rather fight than switch. :)
They love their display. Personally I would not let the above thread (which includes owners of your prospective model) deter you from this purchase if you love everything else about the 61Z886.

If it was me, I would want to go in with eye’s open regarding this particular ‘quirk’ and would continue to research the issue via the web after purchase. If JVC does come up with a definitive ‘Fix” to resolve the frequency of lamp failure, you would want to be in line and still under warranty.

For this set, I would purchase the extended warranty on the set itself + your dealers lamp warranty for a margin of safety (although JVC seems to currently be responsive to out of warranty lamp issues) and keep a lamp sitting on the self particularly near Super Bowl dates etc. :)
I commend your salesperson for giving you any indication about this issue!!!

The above suggestions come from the very frustrated owner of a Sony 60 RP LCD, my original bulb exceeded it suggested hours by a large margin, BUT…..since I did not have one shelved. I am sitting here with a great black matte display, while waiting to hear how long the backorder logjam is going to take.

….the reality is slightly worse than just contemplating this theoretical scenario beforehand. :D

George-D

Auditioning
Mary,

Thanks for the great info and link! I checked out the link and now I just don't know what to do. My head is spining! Just so much info at once. Looks like people that are tied into there JVC's still love the picture on the set. Lamp life is a killer and there was another board in the set that looked to be having issues as well. What would be the next best choice thinking min. screen size 56" and a top dollar cost of $2500? We can't go over that unless we sell our 43" RP first.I think I would rather pick up the new set first.. We will be sitting 8 to 10' from the screen so picture would have to be great too. Please all info would help us decide! Thanks!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I know what you mean. :)
Sorry until I’m in shopping mode again I won’t be up on the current crop of displays. I can be the queen of research, but googling is a funny thing ….you’ve got to hit the right set of terms and sometimes you don’t know them till post purchase, then all ‘new’ threads pop up you never dreamt of! I’m sure the web is the blessing and bane of manuf. On one side it provides an outlet for product research, even the largest market saturated manuf does not have to worry unduly that their potential customers local B&M carries all of their models when cust.s have internet access to locate them. Without the web I would not have found Outlaw Audio and SVS from whom I have purchased products I’m been extremely satisfied with…
…the flip is the link above…I’m sure they would all rather negative press were not accessible.

If I had already settled on the JVC, I’d go back and do deeper research. Don’t scratch it off your list automatically there is always the possibility the manuf has quietly addressed any weak components in the chain. Sometimes you can ferret out the info that any current serial #’s place you past the glitch, as new units shipping via factory will have addressed the problem. Or you might find that a unit serial # you buy is within the range of percentage of failure, but the ‘bad part#” has been identified. Usually these fail during warranty and you factor the chance that you might be the inconvenienced party who has one major warranty repair to deal with. If the unit is what you like otherwise, I would not automatically kick it out of consideration because of problems posted, but you do have to triage these things for yourself.

You will hardly find a display (or manuf) that does not have some percent of issues on each particular model launch. (but some are doosies)
…I never fault a manuf for having failures…electronics are complicated. My concern is how a manuf address’s it with customer support. The lamp assembly failures I consider a major drawback, but…not necessarily a deal killer if any remedies I mentioned last paragraph apply

My route is to somehow narrow down to “3” choices via features I have to have (like screen size/inputs/outputs) / features I’d like / price and whether I think its fairly future proof in meshing with products likely to be in my home or soon replaced. Once I narrow to the 3 then I use the words ‘reviews’ ‘complaints’ ‘recalls’ etc and if there is a user forum (like Sony’s Arguquest(?) I watch what the current owner gripes are..invaluable in telling me volumes. You can shortly judge when these are preference gripes or legit road bumps for all potential purchasers.

….then I pick my poison :D

...and I can't emphasis enough stick with a dealor that gives you that kind of heads up, and try to reward him with your final sale![/size][/font]

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
George,

I personally would go with the JVC+warranties. I would get the warranties on any microdisplay set though. The only set at that size (56+") that comes close to the JVC would be the Toshiba 56HM195 1080p set, but it can't be had at B&M stores for less than 3k and also has a reputed bulb failure issue--Though Toshiba is extending the original warranty on the bulb for an extra year on sets whose serial number indicates it has a failure prone bulb.
Only other drawback is the possible "rainbow" issue on dlp sets which does not apply to the JVC's LCOS technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks