What's new

HELP, tempest design suggestions (1 Viewer)

JaysonY

Auditioning
A couple years ago with the help of this forum I built 2 sonosubs using the tempest drivers. The sub tubes were 5'h x 24"dia. and were feed 250watts each. They worked great! But now I'd like something smaller. We've moved and are putting together a dedicated HT in the basement and would like something with the same bass capabilities as the sonosubs, or more if possible!! If possible I'd like to reuse the tempests, but I'm open to all suggestions. I've seen the Everest, Great looking sub Kyle! and was curious if something similar could be done with the tempests. Would 2 subs be better than 1. Also any amp/amps suggestions for the sub ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Jayson

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Since you've got two Tempests already and 250W each this would make a good infinite baffle. You will still have good bass and now no boxes.

Bob K

Stunt Coordinator
Jayson,

On the 2 subs vs. 1 sub debate, I've consistently read that 2 subs are preferable, not because you'll get greater SPLs but because with subs in different locations you even out the room response and eliminate or at least greatly reduce nodes and antinodes.

Good luck in your search.

Sealed Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

Joseph Sabato

Stunt Coordinator
Jayson,

I have 2 Tempest based subs and my results are pointing in the direction of moving them to one location. I think that 2 subs will give you smoother overall response in the room IF you have a lot of flexibility in placement (KEY) and you take the time to do measurements and go through the iterations to get the best overall response.

In my case, I am fairly limited in locations so I am going to try the Infinite Baffle route if I can find an available location with good response, I will test for this with one of my subs before I cut. Take a look at my site under the measurements link for results, and good luck with your new setup.

2 Tempests

JaysonY

Auditioning
GrahamT:
I don't believe infinite baffle will work I'm building a room-within-a-room. But I don't know much about IB subs.

Bob K:
From all my searching that's the conclusion I've come to also.
I was looking at the PR Adire alighnment design(2) but didn't know if 250w would be enough power. This seemed very close to splitting the Everest into 2 boxes.

Joseph Sabato:
The size of the box will determine the flexability.

Jayson

JaysonY

Auditioning
Wayne:
Thanks, I hadn't seen Tempest Territory before but have viewed Adire site several times. I have Kit281 for my mains and center channel. Going to build their newest center the LCC and 3 more sealed 281's for a full 7.1 Adire system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks