HELP! Tech made my tv worse!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tom Martin, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

i have the samsung HCN5527w hi-def projection tv. i've had problems with it since i bought it. for instance, the DVI pic on 720p and 1080i looked green and the 480p looked much less sharper compared to the 480i. so the tech just replaced the digital panel in the back. at some point he was adjusting thr red, blue and green lines with a screen he made come up on the tv that was basically a big grid of white lines against a black background. i could see from where i was that boxes were all different sizes and uneven. he must have gotten lazy cuz after he split and i checked the pic with the THX optimizer i can clearly see the pic is warped. PLUS the color still tints to a light green on 720p and 1081 when using the DVI! does anyone know the code i can use to adjust the pic myself or where i can get it? also, what is the name of this test, meaning the grid of white lines to adjust the colors.

THANKS!

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Call them back; have them do the job right this time, and do not let them leave until you are happy.
    Vb

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I agree, CALL THEM BACK & don't let him out the door until you have checked everything out & have it adjusted to your satisfaction. If your not satisfied don't let him leave & get right on the phone to Samsung while he's still there & let him talk to one of their techs. if he can't correct the problem. If more people would do this they would alot more time to spend on each set doing it right in the first place instead of trying to get to the next call & hoping they don't get a call back on the set. And you'd be surprised on how many people will never call back & just live with the set the way it is.

4. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

yep the tech is responsible to make the customer happy (if possible) we have done that with customers called tech assistance, told them the set would not calibrate (we needed shop time that wasn't covered) they let us take the set, and ended up replacing the main chassis

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If that model has the Farajuda chip (and I think it does) - the 480i input will look better than a 480p source. The chip is very, very good.

6. Tom Martin

but my denon dvd player also has the faroujda chip. why wouldn't the picture remain just as good?

7. Tom Martin

i found out it's called the Service menu convergence grid. i just still have no idea how to get to it.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The service menu..but this is really dangerous if you dont know what you are doing. I have had my Samsung DLP for 2 weeks and I have not even gone into the service menu. The convergence grid ... not a trivial thing.

Here is the issue: a lot of the settings in your television affect each other. For example: if you jump right into the convergence grid, it can take 1-2 hours to do a proper job. But if you did not know to align the color images first, when you do align the colors, this can throw off the convergence - wasted work.

Call the service guy and make him do the work is our best suggestion.

Service Mode: Power off, mute, 1,8,3, power on and the service menu will be visible when the image appears.

9. Tom Martin

i got it and i'm working on it. the picture is geting better, but without the template it'll never be perfect. the repair shop is calling me back today to set up another appointment.

10. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Do not tell the tech when he comes that u've gotten into the service menu. He might void ur warranty and blame everything on u. Ur best bet right now is keep hacking away at the repair shop and if they can't satisfy u, have ur dealer replace the set with a new one.