help - subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ernieH, Oct 13, 2005.

1. ernieH

ernieH Auditioning

From a newbie ---

I just upgraded from Pro Logic to Dolby Digital - bought a Pioneer Model 515 - 110 watts 6.1 (will use as 5.1) --- got everything hooked up ok but really lacking in bass response --- Bose Acoustimass 10 series II - non powered bass module. Called Bose & asked about hooking up a "powered" subwoofer - they said no problem. Did some research & went ahead & ordered Sony Subwoofer with Dual 10" Woofers (SA - WX700) $235.00 from Circuit City.

Any opinions on if I did the right thing? --- could always return it if I had to.

Thanks

2. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Did you have a separate amp drive the Bose sub? Most if not all AVR's don't have an amp section for the subwoofer.

Getting a powered sub will do the trick. I don't have any experience with the Sony, but you're on the right track.

Mike

3. ernieH

ernieH Auditioning

The Bose sub feeds off the 5 satellites (sp?) - the new receiver has an output for the sub. - which is another reason I'm having a problem now. When the receiver does the system check it only sees 5.0 now. With the powered sub it will see 5.1 --- I guess!

4. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

The SATELLITES power the sub? I think it's normally the other way around. The SUB has the amp that drives the satellites. Whatever the case may be, getting a powered sub is the right thing to do.

Mike

5. SummyD

SummyD Stunt Coordinator

I have used a Pioneer-Bose combination.You could connect an additional powered sub. Sony is not really known for their subs. In this price range, most people on this forum might recommend Dayton Audio's 10" sub available at www.partsexpress.com . I like my Athena 12" sub that sells for about $300 but I think their 10" sub (as-p4000) is in your target price range. This is available at BestBuy.

6. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

That Sony sub is very solid for the price.
    I would rec'd a weight (~20+ lbs.) be placed on top of it, b/c it "walks" around a bit [​IMG].

7. Joe*H

Joe*H Stunt Coordinator

I used to have one of the bose set ups where all five speakers went to the base box and then to the receiver, and I had the same problem when I made the same switch. I called bose and they told me to set my front speakers to large because the base box has a crossover inside that only lets the proper freqs get to the speakers. this way the base went to the box, I did this and it fixed the problem. they told me that the bose set up was based on a large floor speaker ( just broken into little boxes) and that this is why the speakers must be run through the base box, tweeter/mid in the cube and woofer in the box. the reason the receiver does not see the base box is because it is just the woofer secetion of a the speaker and not a subwoofer. As for the powered sub which is a great idea, send the sony back and get one of the 12inch daytons from parts express, I think there around $140 plus shipping, the 10inch is also good and is a little cheaper, you wont be sorry.

8. StevieP

StevieP Stunt Coordinator

Id like to chime in with my vote for the Sony sub....

A friend of mine was looking for a budget sub, and we considered the Dayton's from PE, both...the 10 & 12" but he had a L shaped room that I felt might be a little tough to pressurize with a single low power budget sub and that he might have to go with two.

The reviews I have read on all three mentioned subs were pretty good....but felt that the Sony, with 250 watts and dual 10s in an enclosed box might do a better job than a single Dayton in the same space.....so we ordered the Sony.

The Sony arrived...we placed and calibrated...and I gotta tell ya that it was amazing for the price...tight and low with plenty of output...not equal to my SVS 2039 PCI....but better than another friend's 15" 175 watt Dalquist ported sub..especially when playing some "Clapton Live in Hyde Park" in DTS.

I would not hesitate to recommend it to any one looking in that price range.

I will note that the Bass Boost feature...while good for low volume listening on regular TV and such...should not be used while calibrating, or anything other than just that...low volume listening.

Hope this helps [​IMG]
    Steve~

9. ernieH

ernieH Auditioning

Thanks to all for such great (& encouraging information)will follow up after hooking up this weekend.

Thanks again!!!

10. ernieH

ernieH Auditioning

MikeNG --- BTW --- I'm sure you're right about the signal path --- the signal (on the Bose) goes from receiver to Sub to Satellites. --- sorry about that!

11. Louis Howard

Louis Howard Auditioning

The Sony sub should do you fine, at least for awhile. I bought one several months ago but got the upgrade fever and bought a Velodyne not long afterwards... I sold the Sony to a pal at work and he's as happy as can be with it! There are worse subs for the money out there, and if this is your first powered sub I think it will do you nicely until you get 'upgradeitis' [​IMG]

If you DO find you don't like it I also hear good things about the Dayton 10 and 12 inch budget subs as well as the JBL E250 sub in your price range.

12. KevinCAR

KevinCAR Extra

if you want to upgrade later and can afford it i just purchased the athena 12" powered sub and i am amazed with it, man its more power than i could dream of and the low end bass i get off of it running it with speaker leads instead of sub out because i am running a 8 year old pioneer on it, just cant wait untill i get my new receiver this sub is amazing.the sub turned at 2 out of 10 the rec barley turned up while i break the sub in and my neighbors must hate me now. Just think when there broken in and i turn them wow!!