1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help! Subwoofer questions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobP, Jul 30, 2001.

1. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I am badly needing to upgrade my sub, but until I can save up some money I'm using a sub that I got with an HTB system a while back. In the mean while I'm trying to get the best sound out of it I can. I've heard of several tweaks such as placing the sub on a concrete slab of some sort or placing something heavy on it. Do these work or am I misinformed? Also if these do work, can you place the sub on anything or does it have to be a certain material. What exactly does this do, increase the db level, flatter response? I know nothing I do will change the quality of the sub but the more I can get out of it the better, until I can get my hands on an svs that is [​IMG]
    Thanks
    RobP
    [Edited last by RobP on July 30, 2001 at 09:14 PM]

2. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Come on guys, help a fellow HTF member!

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The best way to get the best sound from the current unit is to make sure you've optimized it's location/calibration 100%.
    Make sure you've exhausted all placement options(esp. all the good corners of the room). Double check all the applicable crossover settings involved,and be sure tweak the phase.Also,be sure to re-calibrate the subwoofer's output level whenever you move it.
    I dont see a rock slab doing much performance wise...but if you can get it cheaply enough...it never hurts to try a tweak I guess.
    The sony 40 subwoofer is getting raves...and it's available on line around $145(?)...so that might be a good upgrade for you to consider?
    TV

4. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

"I dont see a rock slab doing much performance wise"
    I got a kick out of that line [​IMG]