Help! Subwoofer questions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobP, Jul 30, 2001.

1. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I am badly needing to upgrade my sub, but until I can save up some money I'm using a sub that I got with an HTB system a while back. In the mean while I'm trying to get the best sound out of it I can. I've heard of several tweaks such as placing the sub on a concrete slab of some sort or placing something heavy on it. Do these work or am I misinformed? Also if these do work, can you place the sub on anything or does it have to be a certain material. What exactly does this do, increase the db level, flatter response? I know nothing I do will change the quality of the sub but the more I can get out of it the better, until I can get my hands on an svs that is [​IMG]
    Thanks
    RobP
    [Edited last by RobP on July 30, 2001 at 09:14 PM]

2. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Come on guys, help a fellow HTF member!

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The best way to get the best sound from the current unit is to make sure you've optimized it's location/calibration 100%.
    Make sure you've exhausted all placement options(esp. all the good corners of the room). Double check all the applicable crossover settings involved,and be sure tweak the phase.Also,be sure to re-calibrate the subwoofer's output level whenever you move it.
    I dont see a rock slab doing much performance wise...but if you can get it cheaply enough...it never hurts to try a tweak I guess.
    The sony 40 subwoofer is getting raves...and it's available on line around $145(?)...so that might be a good upgrade for you to consider?
    TV

4. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

"I dont see a rock slab doing much performance wise"
    I got a kick out of that line [​IMG]