Help... Subwoofer out?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Carolyn_C, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Carolyn_C

Carolyn_C Auditioning

Perhaps I am in denial, but need help from the experts to confirm that my sub is dead.I have an Energy Take 5 sub/sat system that has worked beautifully for about 18 months. Very happy with it overall.

Today, I notice there is no bass sound, so I look at the sub and the power light on the front is not lit. I do a test via the receiver and all speakers produce except the sub. I check all the power cords and connections; everything appears in order. Are there any other possibilities that I don't know about or must I face the hard reality that subwoofers crap out in short order? How long should a decent sub last? After spending a few hundred dollars on a speaker one would hope it would last longer than 18 months. Any comments?

Thanks to all the hard core experts out there. I learn alot from you all.

Carolyn

2. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Stunt Coordinator

Not familiar with your sub, but is there a fuse in it that needs replacing?

3. Carolyn_C

Carolyn_C Auditioning

I'm not sure. Where would it be if there was one?

Thanks,
    Carolyn

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Why don't you contact Energy directly and ask for guidance.

5. Carolyn_C

Carolyn_C Auditioning

I will try that when they are available Monday. Couldn't contact them this weekend.
    C

6. Ryan-Stone

Ryan-Stone Stunt Coordinator

unscrew the driver from the enclosure and make sure one of the wires didnt fall off of the terminal on the sub driver(speaker). This happened to me on my jbl pb12. it took me forever to figure out what was wrong.

7. RobertJP

RobertJP Auditioning

Yup, same thing just happened to me with my Infinity Sub bought 4 years ago ($350). I'm too lazy to check for a blown fuse, so I just ordered a SVS sub instead [​IMG]

Hopefully I get motivated to get inside that Infinity sub, fix it and sell it on ebay or somethin...

8. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Carolyn,

I'd almost bet it's a blown fuse (from your mention of the light in front not going on). There should be, on the back of the unit, some sort of small access to a fuse. You may need a screw driver to get to it.

-Robb

9. Carolyn_C

Carolyn_C Auditioning

Thanks guys for the tips. If I am able to find a fuse problem, (first miracle) where would I get a replacement for it?

Thnx,
    CC

10. John S

John S Producer

I will say that, the average bargain sub, seems to last on average about 2 years before having some issues.

If you replace look at Velodyne for subs that seem to last and last and last even when driven extra hard.

11. Carolyn_C

Carolyn_C Auditioning

I'm not sure what your definition of "bargain sub" is. Energy seems highly reputable and is comparable in price to some of the same size Velodynes I tested before purchasing. Nonetheless, I greatly appreciate your guesstimate of lifespan.

Regards,
    CC

12. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Carolyn,

You should be able to find a replacement fuse at places like Home Depot, Lowes, Etc.

-Robb

13. Carolyn_C

Carolyn_C Auditioning

Wanted to add an update regarding my problem with the sub. I did in fact get in touch with Energy via their website. A gentleman there said if I sent in my receipts proving it was only 18 months old he would honor the warranty. (One year was all that was guaranteed on the amplifier section) So, I took the whole thing out, packed it off UPS and "voila" in about two weeks time, my sub was rumbling good as new. It pays to buy with reputable companies and I am for sure a loyal Customer.

Kind regards to all who tried to help me. I do think he replaced the fuse (as was suggested by many of you) and probably tuned up some other items as well.

Carolyn

14. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Stunt Coordinator

It always pays to give approx. $20.00+ to UPS rather than replace a $1.00 fuse yourself.

15. Carolyn_C

Carolyn_C Auditioning

It was worth the peace of mind to me since I don't know for sure if it was the fuse or something other that he fixed. For me $13 was totally worth it. Thats just me. Maybe your wife or mother could have handled it alone just fine. As for me I was grateful for Energy's commitment to helping me. (Which was my point)

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

And that in itself speaks volumes Carolyn. Now stop cranking it up so loud!

17. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

The point is that the company that you claim to love, respect, etc. Is now out the cost of replacement (Over $100 we would assume including labor), and it was possibly a 30 cent replacement.

18. Joe DC

Joe DC Agent

I know it's after the fact but I thought I'd reply anyway. I also have Energy products, 2 S10.2's and one of them just died one day. The blue indicator light was out and there was no output. However, after fiddling with it, I found the culprit to be the sub input level connector. It was loose on the inside of the box. The wires are very short when checking the amp from behind and difficult to screw tightly because of the difficult access. Anyways, I was able to take it back to my dealer for a direct swap and now have things rockin' again!