Help.. Subs cause DVDs to skip

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Derek*C, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Derek*C

Derek*C Auditioning

Yesterday I added a pair of home-built ACI subs which cause my dvd player to skip on low passages (pod race, matrix helicopter crash, etc). I'm thinking of adding spikes to my stereo cabinet and maybe putting a couple of steel plates on the DVD player. Would it still vibrate/skip internally? Should I be worried about heat build up? What about using vibration feet? The player is a Denon 2200. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

And turning it down is not an option[​IMG]

2. Joe S

Joe S Second Unit

I had a problem like this and I found a piece of foam rubber about a half inch thick. It's a denser foam rubber than what you usually run into. Cut it into four pieces to slip under the feet of the DVD player. It helped quite a bit, but the rubber tends to compress from the weight of the DVD player after a period of time. You may need to reposition it a bit before using the system at high volumes.

3. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

I had a similar problem. On my particular setup the DVD player is sitting on top of the Big Screen RP. The subs were vibrating the RP and the player on top causing it to skip.

After trying a couple of expensive "High Tech Isolators" that did not work very well, if at all, I ended up cutting four pieces from a Fellowes(brand) keyboard wrist pad. This was a suggestion form a member on this or another forum.

The sections were placed between the DVD player's feet and the RP and the problem went away.

I can still feel the RP vibrating, but the player hardly shakes and the skiping stopped.

4. Derek*C

Derek*C Auditioning

Excellent ideas. I'll try it out today. Thanks!

5. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i had that problem. i used vibrapods. they are like $4 each and can make a component COMPLETELY dead. they work well, and look nice.

6. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

The non-audio snob vibra-pod things can be had cheap if you want good looks, otherwise, use some sort of foam, rubber, mousepad, etc. to solve the problem.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Or call TempurPedic, you know...the NASA developed mattress people, and ask for the video + free sample. Throw everything away but the sample and cut that into 4 pieces and place the player on top of that.

8. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

I had the same sort of skip problem happen just the other day when playing a song loud, only no sub
    was involved, just our main speakers, VMPS RM2's. And that is even with all of our components placed
    on a nice audio shelf with isolation spikes and all. Those RM2's can out out some serious bass! [​IMG]

I'll have to try those vibra pods, I guess. [​IMG]

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Hehe, just yesterday I cut up a sample piece of that memory foam mattress stuff and put it under my cd player because my DIY Stryke subs makes it skip like crazy.

Here's a link to where I got a free sample from:
    http://www.foamorder.com/memorysample.php?

It stopped the skipping and I'll even go as far to say it made a small difference in sound quality.

10. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Frank,

And just think, no more restless sleep induced back-aches for your CD player [​IMG]