What's new

Help Sub output barely audible (1 Viewer)

Hi. I was listening to some music today that usually has a good amount of bass but my subwoofer didn't seem to be working. I put in a DVD which I knew had a lot of bass and there was only a little bit of sound coming from the sub, like if the volume was turned down to almost nothing. I checked all of the settings on the woofer and also on the receiver and don't see anything wrong. If I unplug the sub from either the receiver or the woofer itself and just go to plug it back in the subwoofer outputs a ton of bass. The subwoofer is a Klipsch ksw-15 and the receiver is a Yamaha RX-V793 and they've been hooked up for less than 3 years. I don't know if it is a problem with the subwoofer, the receiver or the rca wire that connects them. It just seems like the sub isn't getting the full signal since it is on but with almost no volume. Any suggestions on what could be my problem are greatly appreciated. I can't afford a whole new setup right now, so hopefully it is something I can figure out. Thanks again!!

Brian B

If it is turned on and I go to plug the RCA in, it just pumps out loud bass, and I have to turn off the woofer to hook it back up. So I don't think it is a problem with the sub itself, since it obviously still has a lot of power, but once it is hooked up properly it's basically like it isn't even on at all. I'm not sure what else it could be, though the receiver is probably 6 years old, maybe that's the problem. Thanks for any ideas.

Brian B

EricSm

Stunt Coordinator
You don't have a midnight movie mode on or some such thing do you? Probably not, but it was my problem with subwoofer output once.

I would highly recommend looking in your manual and finding out how to reset your receiver the default settings. It's probable something in there got changed.

Are you getting any output or none at all?

Also, the best thing to do might be to try and borrow someone elses receiver and hook up the sub to it, and hook your receiver up to another sub. It could be useful in isolating the problem.

Also, and you probably don't want to hear this, but my brother went through two ksw-10's in a period of two years. He described his problem almost exactly the same as what you are describing. There'd be "bass" but not near what it should be or what you've come to expect. He had to get them replaced.

I'm getting output, but next to nothing. I checked the receiver settings and can't find anything funny. I'll try to hook it up to someone else's receiver or I'll have to take it to the place I got it and have them check it out. Thanks for the help.

Brian B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks