Help: Sub not performing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LeeJones, Feb 23, 2002.

1. LeeJones

LeeJones Auditioning

Help: Sub not performing

I’m looking for some advice/suggestion from anyone who can help me with this recently developed problem please as I’m now at my wits end.

I have a Mission FS2-AV Speaker set (which wire into the sub and then the sub into my Amp) connected to a Pioneer VSX908 DTS Amp and up until now everything has been fine. However, I’ve just noticed that my Sub is all but mute, and to hear anything at all from the Sub means turning the volume up to a ridiculous level and then all I can hear is murmuring. To be honest, there may be nothing coming from the sub at all such is the volume of the speakers, but one thing is for sure -> it isn’t working as desired.

As I said above, the speakers wire into the sub and then to the Amp, and all the speakers are working fine and sound just as they should, its just the LFE that seems to have all but died.

The power light it on and I have fiddled about with the connections, but had no luck at all, and wondered if anyone could suggest anything to try?

I rang mission who promised to ring me back, but never did, and really would appreciate any advice, suggestion or things to check that could be a potential cause of such a problem.

Thanks and any submissions welcome

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Before considering whether the sub is damaged, I would look at the receiver settings first. Since you do not mention any other sub other than the one connected inline with the mains, be sure that the receiver's menus say that you do not have a sub, otherwise a lot of your low bass and the LFE channel (if present) will be sent to the subwoofer output rather than the mains output. Also, make sure that you have not set your mains to "small" in the receiver menus, as this would cut off the low bass.

Michael

3. LeeJones

LeeJones Auditioning

Thanks for the reply. I do only have the one sub, and have changed the settings to No sub, but no joy. Incidentally, the ‘umbilical’ cable that connects the Sub to the amp has an extra connection for amps with a powered LFE Output, and by plugging this is to both the sub and the amp and setting the sub to on (in the amp setup) again has no effect.
    What makes the situation worse is that the instruction manual for my UK model amp has plenty of diagrams, and EVERY one has “not applicable to UK model” plastered all over it! [​IMG] What’s the point in that?
    I’m starting to think there may be a hardware fault with the sub, but if there was, would it still drive all the speakers? Anything else I can try? It would be easier if I could get a test tone up to see if it worked that way, but the nature of the setup means this wont happen [​IMG]
    Again, thanks for the reply – any help welcomed!