What's new

Help - Sub / Amp connection problem (1 Viewer)

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
ok, here's the deal: I'm attempting to move the amp from my PC subwoofer to a larger box+driver. I made all the physical mods to the new box, then installed the amp and connected it to the new driver. Now, as soon as I turn the power on (with no input cable connected to the amp), there is a loud humming and the sub driver is being pushed to its max (not sure the proper term for this).

Unfortuantely it's not a straightforward connection from the amp to the driver. The amp has 3 sets of plugs which connect to it: (1) 4-wire plug which connects the amp to the driver (since it's a DVC driver); (1) 3-wire plug which connects the amp to 4" dia. magnet of some sort; (2) loose wires which connect to the magnet. The wires which connect to the magnet are attached at the magnet end and cannot be removed. I'm 99.9% sure everything is connected properly, and I've even reversed each connection (and done all permutations) just in case. I wish I had a picture but I don't have a digital camera at the moment.

Any insight and/or wild guesses are appreciated, since I'm clueless.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
holy cow matt,

where do we start?

1.this magnet of some sort wouldnt be a transformer would it?

2. this magnet thing is shaped like a doughnut? or a metal square with electrical tape in the middle?

3. how loud is loud with the humming? jackhammer loud?sounds like the driver is getting full 60hz wall power.

4. for now, keep your left hand in your back pocket when you fool around with this thing.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
I'm not exactly sure what it is - but it is doughnut shaped. The humming isn't deafening, but the driver is definitely getting full power constantly (good thing I have it connected to an old driver I don't care for).
If this thing is toast, I won't be totally heart-broken, as it will give me an excuse to get a new set of speakers :D

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
heya,

ya its a transformer. sounds like you definately hooked something up wrong. and since you tried all conceivable ways to hook it up(which might have toasted it), sounds like its toast anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks