What's new

Help...Stupid Question Thread (1 Viewer)

Singway

Grip
This is going to be a stupid question, but I figure not knowing the answer puts me as stupid anyways so I got nothing to lose.

1.) What's the difference between an integrated amp and a power amp?

2.) What is biasing on tube amps? how do you use it?

3.) Anyone know or hear of these amps?
Norh SE9

4.) What should someone be looking for in a tube amp. Some jargon I came across included Triode something or another?

Budget 1-700 dollars new/used powering 2 speakers.

5.) Pure tube or Hybrid amps? (preference question)

Antique Sound Labs Wave -8
Antique Sound Labs Wave Dt
Your suggestion?

My situation is I really love tube amp sound, but it's a very expensive craving. Those fit the bill as affordable introductions and am thinking of powering my fronts with one of those babies, and everything else with my pioneer receiver (VSX-56txi), or something to that effect.

Questions, Comments

highly appreciated

Sing

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

I've heard excellent hybrids and pure tube models, it is strictly personal preference. My own preferences is for a solid state power amp and tube preamp.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

And processor. Integrated amps are typically analog and have no processing of any kind. A receiver can process an undecoded signal (digital) passed by a player/transport, as well as provide DSPs for various surround effects, manage speaker settings and provide bass management.

Your speakers will be a factor as well. Not all speakers are ideally suited to tube amps and/or they may not match up well (in terms of power needs) for a specific amp. For example, the ASL Wave8 may not pair up well with a low sensitivity (

Singway

Grip
Thanks for the help guys,

it really helped a lot. but if you guys have the time I got another question, what defines speaker pairing the best with tube amps? Is it always the sensitivity (Higher the better?) or is it a purely subjective thing.

The speakers I'm thinking of are Ascend 340 CMTs, sensitivity rated at 91db per the Ascend website.

TIA,
Sing

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

I have never seen or heard the SE9 but I have other norh products- a tube CD player they used to sell and solid state monoblocks and some of their speakers. Its good stuff.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

Singway,

Do not get let this mix you up. What John is describing here is a Home Theater receiver, while what I was describing is a Stereo receiver. Stereo receivers do not have processors and do not do any digital signal processing. Stereo receivers are designed specifically for listening to 2 channel music, while HT receivers are generally optimized for listening to movie soundtracks.

EDIT: While most stereo receivers are completely analog, there are a few with built-in DACs, so you can run the digital output of a CD, MP3 or other digital player through the receiver. However, these do digital to analog conversion only, there is no other digital signal processing.

PaulT

Supporting Actor

Definately subjective, however, since most stereo tube amps are not high wattage output (in comparison to todays solid state designs), then higher speaker sensitivity would be a benefit.

Impedance matching would also be more important with tubes than solid state as transistors can more easily operate directly into the load impedances presented by speakers.

Singway

Grip
Thanks again for your help guys, currently eyeing the sophia baby electric amp.

But the word is on the ascends even the onix tube amp didn't do much. I guess it's cause the speaker is already pretty close to flat, that you don't get any of the benefits in that, and the tube will only warm and image the sound, which is good enough for me.

It's a tough one to decide I'll say that for sure.
Sing

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks