Help Stop Vibrating Windows!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Edwin_H, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

I've been trying to figure out a rather cheap and simple way to prevent my windows in my HT from rattling. There is one window just above my SVS 2039pc+ that is about 40x44, and 2 other windows on the other side of the room that are right next to each other and are 75Hx40W.
    I cannot do anything permanent to them as this is not going to be my permanent residence.
    Here's an idea I had. If I can get some foam(any suggestions?) to place against the windows from the inside, then place a thin piece of wood cut to fit the window frame exactly over the window. I would nail it in place and use some sort of sticky seal to keep the wood airtight around the edges. I'm not concerned about making it pretty, I can cover it with a banner or something. Does this sound like a decent solution? Or am I just thinking out of my butt? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

-Edwin

2. Jay Yo

Jay Yo Auditioning

Edwin have you tried moving the sub to a different location where it might not resonate off the glass as bad?

3. sean_pecor

sean_pecor Stunt Coordinator

If you tap a glass pane with your finger and hear rattling then the pane itself might not be snug inside the window frame. If this is the case then look for visible areas where the glass and frame aren't snug. If you can find any areas like this, then inject some basic bathroom sealant with a caulking gun into the cracks. Filling these voids should minimize the noise or stop it altogether.

If the panes are super snug inside the frame, then the panes themselves "bounce" and to minimize this your idea sounds fine. Ugly, but fine [​IMG]

Sean.

4. JamieZ

JamieZ Stunt Coordinator

What I did for my 3 rattling windows was buy these like clear rubber sticky thinks and put them between the window pane and the glass and it stop them completly. I bought them from walmart

Jamie

5. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I've figured out what is making the noise. Its not the glass part of the window, rather inside the metal part where the window slides up and down is some sort of spring or something that rattles. Any ideas how to fix that??? THanks!

-E

6. sean_pecor

sean_pecor Stunt Coordinator

Can you post a picture? It's hard to offer up a good suggestion without seeing it. My first suggestion would be to try coating it with some sort of acrylic clearcoat spray paint. That might put a damper on the vibration without totally screwing up the functionality of the spring. You might also spray a clear coat inside the guide rails?

Sean.